2019 YALSA Summer Teen Intern Grant recipients announced
For Immediate Release
Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA)
CHICAGO — The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA) has chosen 25 libraries to receive its 2019 Summer Teen Intern Grant.
The grant will allow libraries to hire teen interns to assist in the implementation of their summer learning programs, while also helping teens gain real world work experience, and develop professional skills. Each grant is worth $1,000. The grant is possible through the generous sponsorship from The Dollar General Literacy Foundation.
The recipients are as follows:
- Andrews, Ann; B.F. Jones Memorial Library; Aliquippa, Pennsylvania
- Bengtson, Katherine; Bill Memorial Library; Groton, Connecticut
- Burson, Hayley; Charlotte-Mecklenburg (North Carolina) Library - Sugar Creek Branch
- Collins, Dawn; Madison County Library System; Canton, Mississippi
- Garcia, Brittany; Rancho Cucamonga (California) Public Library
- Grenkow, Diane; Jeudevine Memorial Library; Hardwick, Vermont
- Hannah, Jaimee; Florence-Lauderdale (Alabama) Public Library
- Manner, Suvi; Palm Springs (Florida) Public Library
- O'Connor, Shannon; Edith B. Ford Memorial Library; Ovid, New York
- Outwater, Bel; Auburn (Georgia) Public Library
- Owens, Elena; Wake County Public Libraries; Raleigh, North Carolina
- Panter, Laura; Sachem Public Library; Holbrook, New York
- Porche, Shannon; Lafourche Parish Public Library – South Lafourche Branch; Cut Off, LA
- Rand, Lisa; Boyertown (Pennsylvania) Community Library
- Scott, Kelly; Ypsilanti (Michigan) District Library
- Sealy, Nancy; Onslow County Public Library; Jacksonville, North Carolina
- Shade, Emily; Jefferson City (Tennessee) Public Library
- Sofge, Robin; Montclair Community Library; Dumfries, Virginia
- Stephenson, Cory; Moretown (Vermont) Memorial Library
- Strohm, Janine; Rebecca M. Arthurs Memorial Library; Brookville, Pennsylvania
- Thompson Hearn, Katherine; Walkersvillle (Maryland) Branch Library
- Townsend, Sarah; Suffolk (Virginia) Public Library
- Williams, Natalie; Indian Prairie Library; Darien, Illinois
- Wright, Carol; Gadsden (Alabama) Public Library Foundation
- Wright, Rachel; Cecil County Public Library - Elkton (Maryland) Branch
For years, the Dollar General Literacy Foundation has provided Youth Literacy Grants to schools, public libraries, and nonprofit organizations in hopes to provide assistance in implementing and expanding literacy programs for youth. For more information about Dollar General and its Youth Literacy Grants, visit www.dollargeneral.com.
The mission of the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) is to support library staff in alleviating the challenges teens face, and in putting all teens ‒ especially those with the greatest needs ‒ on the path to successful and fulfilling lives. For more information about YALSA or to access national guidelines and other resources go to www.ala.org/yalsa, or contact the YALSA office by phone, 800-545-2433, ext. 4390; or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.