2019 YALSA Summer Learning Resources Grant recipients announced
For Immediate Release
Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA)
CHICAGO – The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA) has chosen 25 libraries to receive its 2019 Summer Learning Resources Grant.
The grant’s purpose is to provide libraries with funds to purchase literacies resources that will strengthen and expand the impact of the library’s summer learning program towards teens most vulnerable to summer learning loss. This includes teens who speak English as a second language, teens in socio-economically challenged communities, and teens who are at risk of failing school. Each grant is worth $1,000. The grant is possible through the generous sponsorship from The Dollar General Literacy Foundation.
The recipients are as follows:
- Bogaert, Beth; Lenox Township Library; New Haven, Michigan
- Briggs, Kristen; Millersville (Tennessee) Public Library of Sumner County
- Collins, Dawn; Madison County Library System; Canton, Mississippi
- Davis, Abby; Laurel (Delaware) Public Library
- Dunston, Elizabeth; Paris-Bourbon (Kentucky) County Library
- Eberly, Cheryl; Santa Ana (California) Public Library
- Evans, Holly; Marion (South Carolina) County Library System
- Fleming, Corey; Paterson (New Jersey) Free Public Library
- Forfia, Tracie; Cleveland (Ohio) Public Library Fleet Branch
- Freas, Stephanie; Muskingum County Library System; Zanesville, Ohio
- Garcia, Brittany; Rancho Cucamonga (California) Public Library
- Gray, Linda; Tyler (Texas) Public Library
- Kuusinen, Jackie; Westminster (Colorado) Public Library
- Martin, Lisa; Warren (Michigan) Public Library
- Perrin, Julie; Jaffrey (New Hampshire) Public Library
- Porche, Shannon; Lafourche Parish Public Library – Lockport (Louisiana) Branch
- Price, Molly; Ashe County Public Library; West Jefferson, North Carolina
- Quintana, Lori; Griffin Middle School; Smyrna, Georgia
- Rimassa, Sara; Fort Lee (New Jersey) Public Library
- Smith, Christine; Spaulding High School; Barre, Vermont
- Strittmatter, Constance; Baltimore County Public Library – Randallstown (Maryland) Branch
- Strohm, Janine; Rebecca M. Arthurs Memorial Library; Brookville, Pennsylvania
- Vidmar, Carolyn; East New Orleans (Louisiana) Regional Library
- Ward, Sarah; Denton (Texas) Public Library
- Zhang, Loretta; Arlington (Texas) Public Library
For years, the Dollar General Literacy Foundation has provided Youth Literacy Grants to schools, public libraries, and nonprofit organizations in hopes to provide assistance in implementing and expanding literacy programs for youth. For more information about Dollar General and its Youth Literacy Grants, visit www.dollargeneral.com.
The mission of the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) is to support library staff in alleviating the challenges teens face, and in putting all teens ‒ especially those with the greatest needs ‒ on the path to successful and fulfilling lives. For more information about YALSA or to access national guidelines and other resources go to www.ala.org/yalsa, or contact the YALSA office by phone, 800-545-2433, ext. 4390; or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.