YALSA announces 2019 Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adults
For Immediate Release
Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA)
CHICAGO – The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), announced its 2019 Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers list.
The list consists of 50 titles selected from 120 nominations, which were posted and discussed in blogposts on The Hub. The list identifies titles aimed at encouraging reading among teens who are not avid readers for a variety of reasons. View the full list at www.ala.org/yalsa/quick-picks-reluctant-young-adult-readers.
- Acevedo, Elizabeth. The Poet X. HarperTEEN/HarperCollins. 2018. $17.99. ISBN: 9780062662804.
- Anderson, Laurie Halse and Emily Carroll (Illustrator). Speak: The Graphic Novel. Macmillan/Farrar, Straus and Giroux Books for Young Readers. Illus. 2018. $19.99. ISBN: 978-0374300289.
- Greenwald, Tommy. Game Changer. ABRAMS/Amulet Books. 2018. $16.99. ISBN: 978-1419731433.
- Krosoczka, Jarrett. Hey Kiddo: How I Lost My Mother, Found My Father, and Dealt with Family Addiction. Scholastic Press/ Graphix. 2018. $24.99. ISBN: 978-0545902472.
- McNeil, Gretchen. #MurderTrending. Disney Book Group/Freeform Books. 2018. $17.99. ISBN: 978-1368010023.
- Reynolds, Jason. Track series (Sunny [vol. 3] and Lu [vol. 4]). Simon and Schuster/Caitlin Dlouhy Books. 2018. $16.99. ISBN: 978-1481450218 (Sunny) and 978-1481450249 (Lu).
- Saeed, Aisha. Amal Unbound. Penguin Random House/Nancy Paulsen Books. 2018. $17.99. ISBN: 978-0399544682.
- Stiefel, Chana. Animal Zombies!: And Other Blood-Sucking Beats, Creepy Creatures, and Real-Life Monsters. National Geographic/NatGeo Kids. 2018. $14.99. ISBN: 978-1426331497.
- Summers, Courtney. Sadie. Macmillan/Wednesday Books. 2018. $17.99. ISBN: 978-1250105714.
- Wang, Jen. The Prince and the Dressmaker. Macmillan/First Second. 2018. $24.99. ISBN: 978-1626723634.
“My fellow Quick Picks team members and I are very proud of our list of 50 selected titles from a total of 120 nominations, and we look forward to a continued increase in the publishing of diverse titles for all types of reluctant readers,” said Coordinator, Allie Stevens.
YALSA’s portfolio of book and media awards helps strengthen library services for and with teens by identifying quality, age appropriate resources for library workers to share with teens and their families. Learn more about YALSA’s other book and media lists here.
The members of the 2019 Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers Blogging Team are: Allie Stevens, Coordinator, Calhoun County Library, Hampton, AR; Cassandra Cuppy, The Calhoun School, New York, NY; Allyson Dowds, Boston Public Library, Boston, MA; Joie Formando, Lancaster Country Day School, Lancaster, PA; KE Hones, Civic Center Secondary School, San Francisco, CA; Lisa Krok, Cleveland Public Library, Cleveland, OH; Jodeana Kruse, R.A. Long High School, Longview, WA; Melora Norman, Belfast Area High School, Belfast, ME; Pamela Penza, New Hanover County Public Library, Wilmington, NC; Jayna Ramsey, Douglas County Libraries, Parker, CO; Erica Rogers, Hastings Public Library, Hastings, NE; Beth Slade, Twinsburg Public Library, Twinsburg, OH; Anna Taylor, Darien Library, Darien, CT; Kaitlin Troch, Harford County Public Library, Belcamp, MD.
The mission of the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) is to support library staff in alleviating the challenges teens face, and in putting all teens ‒ especially those with the greatest needs ‒ on the path to successful and fulfilling lives. For more information about YALSA or to access national guidelines and other resources go to www.ala.org/yalsa, or contact the YALSA office by phone, 800-545-2433, ext. 4390; or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org