Information Rights for Records Managers
For Immediate Release
American Library Association
CHICAGO — Records managers have tended to find themselves given the responsibility for managing requests under the Freedom of Information (FOI) and Data Protection Acts (DPA), without necessarily having training and/or an academic background in legal studies. “Information Rights for Records Managers,” published by Facet Publishing and available through the ALA Store, aims to fill this knowledge gap by offering a fully up to date, accessible, comprehensive guide to Information rights specifically for those without a legal background. This comprehensive resource by Rachael Maguire includes coverage of the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) as well as other important topics such as:
- responding to FOI requests, including exemptions, internal reviews, and benchmarking;
- DPA and GDPR regulations, where the differences lie and what the implications are for professionals operating under the acts;
- personal data requests and inquiries under GDPR;
- working with the European Information Regulations (EIR) and where the differences lie with FOI;
- the two strands of records management and information rights work and how the two interact in daily work; and
- practical case studies from a range of organizations and institutions to demonstrate practice.
Maguire is the Records Manager and Data Protection Officer at the London School of Economics, covering records management, data protection, and freedom of information. She has been working in the fields of information management and information rights for two decades and is on the editorial board of the Records Management Journal.
Facet Publishing, the commercial publishing and bookselling arm of CILIP: the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals, is the leading publisher of books for library and information professionals worldwide. ALA Store purchases fund advocacy, awareness and accreditation programs for library professionals worldwide. Contact us at (800) 545-2433 ext. 5052 or email@example.com.