A wide-ranging overview of the digital archives landscape
For Immediate Release
American Library Association
CHICAGO — “Digital Archives: Management, Use and Access,” published by Facet Publishing and available through the ALA Store, presents an expansive look at how rapid technological changes and the push for providing wide access to digitized cultural heritage holdings are changing the field. Edited by Milena Dobreva, this book provides a set of inspirational and informative chapters from international experts which will help readers understand the drivers for change in archives and their implications. Among the topics explored are:
- cultural institutions that are experimenting with sustainable business models for cultural production;
- the digitization of analog cultural heritage;
- intellectual property rights issues surrounding the re-use of digital objects and data for research, education, advocacy, and art;
- state-of-the-art solutions for building digital archives on networked infrastructure;
- trusted digital repositories for ensuring long-term access; and
- tools to serve emerging needs in digital humanities.
Dr. Dobreva is an Associate Professor at UCL Qatar where she is coordinating the MA in Library and Information Studies leading the introduction of four pathways in the program including a specialization on Archives, Records and Data Management. Previously she served as a Head of the Department of Library Information and Archive Sciences at the University of Malta spearheading the redesign and expansion of the departmental portfolio, and as the Founding Head of the first Digitization Center in Bulgaria where she was also a member on the Executive Board of the National Commission of UNESCO. Milena is a member of the editorial board of the IFLA Journal, and of the International Journal on Digital Libraries (IJDL) and is the co-editor of “User Studies for Digital Library Development.”
Facet Publishing, the commercial publishing and bookselling arm of CILIP: the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals, is the leading publisher of books for library and information professionals worldwide. ALA Store purchases fund advocacy, awareness and accreditation programs for library professionals worldwide. Contact us at (800) 545-2433 ext. 5052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.