PLA launches new interest groups in online community platform
For Immediate Release
Public Library Association (PLA)
CHICAGO -- The Public Library Association (PLA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), has unveiled eight new interest groups in the online community platform, ALA Connect. ALA Connect is a site where members of ALA meet and mingle virtually, discuss library-related topics and issues, share ideas, collaborate in communities, and come together to do the work of the Association.
PLA is piloting the new interest groups to increase member engagement, foster connections and networking, help members find what they need, and drive conversations around key areas affecting public libraries. Joining an interest group will allow PLA members to find their niches and connect with peers of similar interests.
PLA interest groups include:
- Data and Measurement
- Digital Literacy
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Family Engagement
- Immigration and Citizenship
- Legislation and Advocacy
- Workforce Development/Small Business
To join an interest group, please follow these steps. Please note that active personal membership status in PLA is required in order to join.
- Log into PLA's ALA Connect space
- Let everyone know who you are by completing your member profile
- Find PLA Interest Groups under the Communities tab to find out more about each group
- Click the “Join Community” button to participate
- Introduce yourself to the group! Some groups have a “Welcome” discussion thread you can post to, or create a post telling us who you are and what you’re hoping to learn
- Post away! Respond to questions, spark new discussions, share your stories and more
- Stay connected! Request “real time” or “daily digest” email notifications in your settings to stay up-to-date with the latest conversations
- Help build the community by inviting fellow PLA members to join
# # #