Essentials for the government information librarian
For Immediate Release
American Library Association
CHICAGO — Government documents, both physical and electronic, constitute a rich and varied resource that calls for special attention. And because government information is useful and pervasive in nearly every kind of library, more and more librarians of all types need to know how to work effectively with federal, state, and international resources. Edited by Susanne Caro, “Government Information Essentials,” published by ALA Editions, gathers the expertise of experienced government information librarians from across the country to provide real-world insight into the work, collections, and interests of this discipline. This book:
- surveys the wide variety of government information and the people who use it;
- discusses what it’s like to be a government documents librarian, from the first day on the job through taking on a management role;
- addresses networking, training, and other essential tools for collaboration and learning;
- covers space planning, streamlining, disaster preparedness and response, the increasing prevalence of digital information, and other key collection issues;
- offers best practices for connecting library users with government information;
- looks at research guides, workshops, and other teaching and training topics; and
- explores advocating for transparency and access to information, promoting government documents to library users, and using exhibits as community outreach.
Caro has ten years of experience working with all levels of government information. She is the Federal Depository Library Program regional coordinator for Montana and is the government information librarian at the University of Montana in Missoula. Previously she was the state document librarian and coordinator of the New Mexico State Depository Program. She is also the author of “Digitizing Your Collection: Public Library Success Stories.”
ALA Store purchases fund advocacy, awareness and accreditation programs for library professionals worldwide. ALA Editions and ALA Neal-Schuman publishes resources used worldwide by tens of thousands of library and information professionals to improve programs, build on best practices, develop leadership, and for personal professional development. ALA authors and developers are leaders in their fields, and their content is published in a growing range of print and electronic formats. Contact ALA Editions at (800) 545-2433 ext. 5052 or email@example.com.