New eCourse: Using Apps to Manage Information and Stay Organized
For Immediate Release
Chicago—ALA Publishing eLearning Solutions announces a new facilitated eCourse, Using Apps to Manage Information and Stay Organized. Nicole Hennig will serve as the instructor for a 5-week facilitated eCourse starting on Tuesday, September 5, 2017.
With the knowledge from this eCourse, you can:
- Synchronize information securely between all devices (mobile and desktop)
- Generate secure passwords
- Automatically back up your smartphone’s photos and be able to teach your users how
- Create to-do lists that are accessible from all your devices
- Go paperless if you wish, and make best use of your mobile devices
- Understand best practices for security and learn how to decide what levels of security make sense for different types of information
- Use the knowledge from this eCourse to create your own app guides, offer workshops, and advise your users and colleagues on best practices to manage their information
In this eCourse, Nicole Hennig will teach you how to use four types of mobile apps in depth that can help you and your users manage information and boost productivity. You’ll gain tips on how to use the knowledge from this eCourse to create workshops and guides for your users, so you can advise patrons and students how to securely manage and organize their information. You’ll walk away with the tools to set up a system that makes it easy to access information anywhere, back up important information securely, and organize to-do lists effectively.
Throughout the eCourse, you will use these four apps:
- Dropbox (cloud storage)
- 1Password (secure password management)
- Wunderlist (to-do lists accessible from any device)
- Evernote (capture and store important notes in any format)
All four apps are available for both iOS and Android and have free versions for the majority of your needs. Alternative apps will be recommended for those who have a strong preference for an equivalent app (such as Box instead of Dropbox).
Each week includes video demos, step-by-step worksheets, and related readings, along with a discussion forum.
Week 1: Why use cloud storage?
- Installing and using Dropbox effectively.
- Readings from experts about the benefits of cloud storage, along with tips and best practices for security.
Week 2: Why use a secure password manager?
- Installing and using 1Password effectively.
- Readings from experts about the benefits of password managers, along with tips and best practices for security.
Week 3: Why use synchronized to-do lists?
- Installing and using Wunderlist effectively.
- Readings from experts about the benefits of synchronized to-do lists with tips and best practices for productivity.
Week 4: Why use a synchronized system for your notes?
- Installing and using Evernote effectively.
- Readings from experts about the benefits of synchronized notes with tips and best practices for productivity.
Week 5: Bringing it all together + more security tips
- Using all 4 types of apps together effectively.
- Security: tips, best practices, and where to learn more.
- How you can use this knowledge to teach your colleagues and users to create a system of organization that works.
About the Instructor
Nicole Hennig is an expert in mobile technologies for libraries. In her 14 years of experience at the MIT Libraries, she won awards for innovation, and worked to keep academics up to date with the best mobile technologies. Now she has her own business helping librarians stay current with new technologies. She is the author of several books and technical reports, including Keeping Up with Emerging Technologies, Apps for Librarians, and “Podcast Literacy: Educational, Accessible, and Diverse Podcasts for Library Users.” Like most librarians, she is passionate about access to information for all. Mobile apps are empowering for all ages and abilities, and librarians who take her courses are becoming technology experts for their communities. To stay current with the best technologies for education and productivity, sign up for her email newsletter, Mobile Apps News, and follow her on twitter @nic221, where she tweets about libraries, apps, and emerging technologies.
Registration for this ALA Publishing eLearning Solutions facilitated eCourse, which begins on Tuesday, September 5, 2017, can be purchased at the ALA Store. Participants in this course will need regular access to a computer with an internet connection for online message board participation, viewing online video, listening to streaming audio (MP3 files), and downloading and viewing PDF and PowerPoint files.
ALA Publishing eLearning Solutions (ELS) produces high-quality professional development events and materials for the library profession. ELS events cover modern issues on a wide variety of topics in formats that include live workshops, asynchronous eCourses, and print publications. We help ensure that today’s library employees have access to the professional development opportunities they need, whether they are brushing up on the basics or expanding their horizons with cutting-edge tools. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ALA Store purchases fund advocacy, awareness, and accreditation programs for library professionals worldwide.