Chicago—ALA Publishing eLearning Solutions announces a new iteration of our popular eCourse, Engaging Teens with Digital Media: Creating Stories and Games. Kelly Czarnecki will serve as the instructor for a 4-week facilitated eCourse starting on August 14, 2017.
Estimated Hours of Learning: 20
Certificate of Completion available upon request
- Navigate Machinima, one of the top video entertainment networks for gamers, and incorporate it into library programs or digital media labs
- Develop a game design document
- Compare game creation software and identify the best options for your needs
- Understand alternate reality games and how they relate to libraries and transmedia storytelling
- Generate ideas for creating library games for mobile devices
- Create digital media library programs that develop 21st-century skills
- Telling stories with game characters
- Steps to developing a program around Machinima
- Gathering content
- Choosing a game engine
- Software for recording
- Examples of game design in action
- Developing a theme
- Types of games
- How to develop a game design document
- Game design workshops and programs
- Scalability and managing resources
- Common communication tools
- Using the library’s physical space
- Mobile and 21st century learning
- Using augmented reality technology
- Planning a program
About the Instructor
Kelly Czarnecki is a Teen Services Librarian at ImaginOn with the Charlotte Mecklenburg Public Library in North Carolina and an experienced collaborator with community groups in teen programming. She is currently a Tag Team Tech columnist for VOYA and is the author of Gaming in Libraries (THE TECH SET® #9) and the Library Technology Reports issue “Digital Storytelling in Practice.” She is a former chair of YALSA’s Teen Tech Week committee and a frequent presenter on the intersection of gaming and libraries.
Registration for this ALA Publishing eLearning Solutions facilitated eCourse, which begins on August 14, 2017, can be purchased at the ALA Store. Participants in this course will need regular access to a computer with an internet connection for online message board participation, viewing online video, listening to streaming audio (MP3 files), and downloading and viewing PDF and PowerPoint files.
ALA Publishing eLearning Solutions (ELS) produces high-quality professional development events and materials for the library profession. ELS events cover modern issues on a wide variety of topics in formats that include live workshops, asynchronous eCourses, and print publications. We help ensure that today’s library employees have access to the professional development opportunities they need, whether they are brushing up on the basics or expanding their horizons with cutting-edge tools. Contact us at email@example.com.
ALA Store purchases fund advocacy, awareness, and accreditation programs for library professionals worldwide.