CHICAGO — Written in clear language with lively examples, the new second edition of Laura A. Millar’s “Archives, Second Edition: Principles and Practices,” published by ALA Neal-Schuman, introduces core concepts and explains best practices to ensure that documentary materials are cared for as effectively as possible. This revised edition contains expanded discussion of the impact of digital technologies on archival materials and archival practice and an examination of the changing role of the archivist in the digital age, as archival professionals find that they need to be directly engaged with the creators of records to help ensure the preservation of valuable archives, for the present and for posterity. Topics addressed in the book include:
- the nature of archives and archival institutions;
- the role of archival service as a matter of trust;
- core archival concepts such as provenance, original order, and respect des fonds;
- practical guidance in the execution of central archival tasks, including appraisal, preservation, arrangement, description, reference, and access; and
- discussion about the changing role and responsibilities of the archival institution and archival practitioner, as digital technologies fundamentally transform how records and archives are created, captured, preserved, used, and shared.
Examination copies are available for instructors who are interested in adopting this title for course use.
Dr. Millar is an independent consultant in the fields of archival and information management, publishing, and education. In addition to teaching these subjects in universities and colleges in Canada and internationally, she has also written and edited numerous books and articles.
Customers outside of North America (USA and Canada) should contact Facet Publishing for purchasing information.
ALA Store purchases fund advocacy, awareness and accreditation programs for library professionals worldwide. Founded in 1976 by Patricia Glass Schuman and John Vincent Neal, Neal-Schuman Publishers, now an imprint of ALA Publishing, publishes professional books for librarians, archivists, and knowledge managers. Contact us at (800) 545-2433 ext. 5052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.