2017 Summer Learning Resources Grant recipients announced
CHICAGO – The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA) has chosen 20 libraries to receive its 2017 Summer Learning Resources Grant.
The grant’s purpose is to provide libraries with funds to purchase literacies resources that will strengthen and expand the impact of the library’s summer learning program towards teens most vulnerable to summer learning loss, including teens who speak English as a second language, teens in socio-economically challenged communities, and teens who are at risk of failing school. Each grant is worth $1,000. The grant is possible through the generous sponsorship from The Dollar General Literacy Foundation.
The recipients are as follows:
- Andronik, Catherine; Brien McMahon High School; Norwalk, Connecticut
- Bazan, Natalie; Dorr (Michigan) Township Library
- Bearre, Denise; Alcona County Library; Harrisville, Michigan
- Bishop, Donna; McKinley Elementary Library; Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Brautigam, Faith; Kokomo-Howard C. Public Library; Kokomo, Indiana
- Chalman, Kathrine; Charles Ralph Holland Memorial Library; Gainesboro, Tennessee
- Cole, Cathleen; Henry Carter Hull Library; Clinton, Connecticut
- Estlow, Christina; Burlington County Library—Pemberton Branch; Browns Mills, New Jersey
- Finn, Diane; S.W. Smith Memorial Public Library; Port Allegany, Pennsylvania
- Fitzgerald, Kelsey; Ozark Regional Library; Ironton, Missouri
- Gordon, Tricia; Barnwell (South Carolina) County Public Library
- Hager, Tina; Betty Foster Public Library; Ponder, Texas
- Inglada, Montserrat; Whiting (Indiana) Public Library
- Kepler, Dana; Park Hill High School; Kansas City, Missouri
- Meyer, Odessa; South Sioux City (Nevada) Public Library
- Pamel, Diane; Southworth Library Association; Dryden, New York
- Porche, Shannon; Lafourche Paris Public Library - South Lafourche Branch; Cut Off, Louisiana
- Robinson, Rachel; Northampton (Pennsylvania) Area Public Library
- Schaller, Phil; Putnam County Library System; Cookeville, Tennessee
- Statham, Ricky; Oneonta (Alabama) Public Library
To learn more about the grant and summer learning, please visit the Summer Learning website, an online space where educators, library workers and out-of-school-time providers can find and share helpful summer learning resources.
For years, the Dollar General Literacy Foundation has provided Youth Literacy Grants to schools, public libraries, and nonprofit organizations in hopes to provide assistance in implementing and expanding literacy programs for youth. For more information about Dollar General and its Youth Literacy Grants, visit www.dollargeneral.com.
The mission of the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) is to support library staff in alleviating the challenges teens face, and in putting all teens ‒ especially those with the greatest needs ‒ on the path to successful and fulfilling lives. For more information about YALSA or to access national guidelines and other resources go to www.ala.org/yalsa, or contact the YALSA office by phone, 800-545-2433, ext. 4390; or e-mail: email@example.com.