2016 Teens’ Top Ten Nominees announced
For Immediate Release
Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA)
CHICAGO — The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association, has officially announced the 2016 Teens Top Ten Nominees.
This year’s list of nominees features 26 titles that were published between Jan. 1, 2015 and Dec. 31, 2015. The nominees are as follows:
- Baker, Chandler. Alive. Disney/Hyperion.
- Bardugo, Leigh. Six of Crows. Macmillan/Henry Holt & Co.
- Black, Holly. The Darkest Part of the Forest. Little, Brown & Co.
- Boecker, Virginia. The Witch Hunter. Little, Brown & Co.
- Brockenbrough, Martha. The Game of Love and Death. Scholastic/Arthur A. Levine Books
- Childs, Tera Lynn, and Tracy Deebs. Powerless. Sourcebooks Fire.
- Cornwell, Betsy. Mechanica. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt/Clarion Books.
- Dinnison, Kris. You and Me and Him. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt/Clarion Books.
- Doktorski, Jennifer Salvato. The Summer After You and Me. Sourcebooks Fire.
- Doller, Trish. The Devil You Know. Bloomsbury.
- Heltzel, Anne. Charlie, Presumed Dead. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Kaufman, Amie, and Kristoff, Jay. Illuminae. Random House/Alfred A. Knopf.
- Laurie, Victoria. When. Disney/Hyperion.
- Matharu, Taran. The Novice: Summoner: Book One. Macmillan/Feiwel & Friends.
- Nielsen, Jennifer, A. Mark of the Thief. Scholastic/Scholastic Press.
- Niven, Jennifer. All the Bright Places. Random House/Alfred A. Knopf.
- Priest, Cherie, Illustrated by Kali Ciesemier. I Am Princess X. Scholastic/Arthur A. Levine.
- Schmidt, Tiffany. Hold Me Like a Breath. Bloomsbury.
- Schreiber, Joe. Con Academy. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Sedgwick, Marcus. The Ghosts of Heaven. Macmillan/Roaring Brook Press
- Simmons, Kristen. The Glass Arrow. Tor Teen.
- Stohl, Margaret. Black Widow Forever Red. Disney/Marvel Press
- Stone, Tamara Ireland. Every Last Word. Disney/Hyperion
- Westerfeld, Scott, Margo Lanagan, and Deborah Biancotti. Zeroes. Simon & Schuster/Simon Pulse.
- Weingarten, Lynn. Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls. Simon & Schuster/Simon Pulse
- Yoon, Nicola. Everything, Everything. Random House/Delacorte Press.
A video and list of the nominees including annotations of each title can be found on the Teens' Top Ten website.
YALSA is calling on libraries to encourage teens to read the nominees throughout the summer so they are ready for the national Teens’ Top Ten vote, which will take place August 15 through Teen Read Week (October 9-15). The 10 nominees that receive the most votes will be named the official 2016 Teens’ Top Ten. To learn more and to access a free Teens’ Top Ten Toolkit, visit www.ala.org/yalsa/teenstopten.
In celebration of the nominees being named, YALSA will be giving away 40 sets of the nominees through its 2016 Teens’ Top Ten Book Giveaway, generously funded by the Dollar General Literacy Foundation. Interested applicants can apply now through May 1, 2016 via this online form.
A digital image of a Teens’ Top Ten seal for nominated titles is now available to publishers for licensing. Arrangements can be made through ALA’s Rights and Permissions office for publishers who need permission to reproduce the seal on a paperback edition of book jacket. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Mary Jo Bolduc, (312) 280-5416 (phone) or (312) 944-8741 (fax) for information.
The Teens’ Top Ten is a “teen choice” list, where teens nominate and choose their favorite books of the previous year. Nominators are members of teen book groups in sixteen school and public libraries around the country. Nominations are posted the Thursday of National Library Week. For more information about the Teens’ Top Ten, please visit www.ala.org/yalsa/teenstopten.
For more than 50 years, YALSA has worked to build the capacity of libraries and library staff to engage, serve and empower teens. For more information about YALSA or to access national guidelines and other resources go to www.ala.org/yalsa, or contact the YALSA office by phone, 800-545-2433, ext. 4390; or e-mail: email@example.com.