An in-depth look at successful social networking in public libraries
For Immediate Release
American Library Association
CHICAGO — Most commentaries to date on library use of social networks such as Facebook and Twitter have focused on a handful of well-funded public libraries with high-profile employees. Now Walt Crawford’s “Successful Social Networking in Public Libraries,” published by ALA Editions, completes the picture, offering for the first time an in-depth look at how a large variety of public libraries are conducting digital outreach and marketing through social networking. Examining nearly 6,000 libraries across the US, Crawford:
- analyzes social network use by libraries of many different sizes and funding levels, showing how many of them are active and effective in quite different ways;
- offers many examples that will help other libraries establish or refine their own social networking activities;
- lays out several key questions that libraries should ask themselves, such as “Who do we want to reach?” and “What’s the best way to interact with communities?”;
- gives libraries guidelines for setting social networking goals and conducting ongoing evaluation;
- includes illuminating comments from numerous librarians on the front lines of communication.
Crawford is an internationally recognized writer and speaker on libraries, technology, policy and media. Author of numerous books, articles and columns, including “Open Access: What You Need to Know Now,” Crawford is also the creator, writer and publisher of Cites & Insights: Crawford at Large, an ejournal on the intersections of libraries, policy, technology and media published monthly since 2001. He maintains a blog on these and other issues, Walt at Random. He received the LITA/Library Hi Tech Award for Outstanding Communication for Continuing Education in Library and Information Science in 1995, the ALCTS/Blackwell Scholarship Award in 1997, and the Gale Group Online Excellence in Information Authorship Award in 1998.
ALA Store purchases fund advocacy, awareness and accreditation programs for library professionals worldwide. ALA Editions publishes resources used worldwide by tens of thousands of library and information professionals to improve programs, build on best practices, develop leadership, and for personal professional development. ALA authors and developers are leaders in their fields, and their content is published in a growing range of print and electronic formats. Contact ALA Editions at (800) 545-2433 ext. 5418 or email@example.com.