We are glad you are here.
Welcome to ALA.
Whether you are a returning or a brand new member, your ALA membership is active and ready to offers you a world of resources, information and benefits. Much will be useful now, other will show their value as your career progresses, you change positions or type of library, or you want to get more involved with your professional community. In the next week to 10 days new, renewing, and rejoining members will be receiving a separate email with pdfs of your detailed membership receipt, membership card, and certificate of membership.
Pathways to Participate: ALA members tend to create their own ALA experience, which evolves over time, by connecting with others with similar interests and goals, by exploring something new, and by getting involved. ALA offers a wide variety of ways to connect with colleagues across the country and around the world. This includes ALA Divisions, Round Tables, ALA Offices and Publications, and all the individual connections you will make over time.
To help you navigate all ALA has to offer, here are some ways to get more easily access the information you want, to answer some of your questions, to grow as a professional, and to learn about and participate in the library profession through ALA membership.
- Manage My Membership. Use this as your ALA "home base." Update your membership information, renew your membership, better understand how ALA is organized via its Divisions, Round Tables and Offices, and stay abreast of ALA work and professional issues. Over time, we will be adding even more options and functions.
- Engage with ALA and Your Profession. ALA membership supports you as you develop your skills and advance in the profession, and as you use your skills to change the world for the better through libraries.
- Get the Most from Your Membership. This includes access to world class professional development and online learning; conferences, meetings and institutes that inspire; and access to a network of colleagues who make the best kind of consults because they’ve been there. Use member discounts and services via the Member Value Programs (MVP), which bring real, tangible value to you and your library, and as a library professional, remember the special resources of ALA’s Library are available to you.
- ALA’s Website. www.ala.org is a comprehensive resource, offering access to a tremendous amount of useful information. Surf the site and explore all it has available. Access information you need right now and discover new areas of interest, find out about things you might not have known existed, and so much more.
- Libraries Transform. Through this website learn about the Center for the Future of Libraries, Community Relationships, Ebooks and Digital Content, Library Leadership and Management, and ALA’s public campaign showing how libraries transform.
- Resources for All Types of Libraries. ALA, its offices, divisions, and round tables offer members an abundance of toolkits, tools, and professional resources to support all types of needs for all types of libraries. This page provides access to them in an easy-to-use, alphabetical format. Review these resources to locate tools that you can use now and to become aware of others that will serve your needs later or that you can tell a colleague about.
- Find Your Opportunity to Volunteer. ALA works through a member-driven structure of committees and subcommittees, divisions, round tables, and several other types of groups. Each committee has a specific purpose, defined at the time it is established. Each division and round table also may create committees and other working groups to carry out the work of the division or round table.
- Student Member Portal: For those beginning on their career, this central hub links you to ALA services, support, programs, products, scholarship and employment information, research assistance, and the invaluable benefit of connecting with experienced library professionals.
- Contact Us: Don’t hesitate to contact ALA staff for help in accessing ALA resources. You can reach ALA’s Member and Customer Service department by calling 800-545-2433 or by emailing email@example.com.