Dues & Member Types
ALA membership is open to individuals, organizations and non-profits, and businesses interested in working together to ensure a stable future of libraries, librarians, and the profession. There are a variety of memberships meeting the needs of librarians, library workers, libraries and organizations, students, joint ALA-Chapter packages, organizations, friends, trustees, retired, unemployed, and corporations - along with opportunities to join divisions and round tables that meet specific professional needs and interests.
Dues are based on the roles one has in library work. Special rates are available for Retirees, Students, Friends, Trustees, International, and Non-Salaried or Unemployed members. Membership in ALA Divisions and Round Tables is an additional fee.
- Membership in ALA is required for Divisional and Round Table membership.
- Memberships run for 12 months starting with the month of your application.
- ALA’s fiscal year is September to August, and dues rates below are current from September 1, 2013 to August 31, 2014.
Scroll or click to see:
ALA Personal Member Types and Dues
Regular – $66 for the first year, $100 for the second year, $133 for the third and later years. Includes librarians as well as others employed in library and information services or related activities in positions that: (a) require a master's degree; (b) require a state level certification; or (c) are managerial.
Non-Salaried or Unemployed Regular – $47/year. Includes librarians earning less than $30,000 per year or not currently employed. In a difficult economy this dues category can be helpful for those in career transition or for those just beginning their careers.
Student – $34/year. Includes individuals enrolled in a program for certificate or degree in library and information studies. Certain state chapters have Joint Memberships with ALA. Student Membership is limited to five total years.
Library Support Staff – $47/year. Includes others employed in library and information services or related activities. Several states have Joint Memberships with ALA for Support Staff. .
Retired – $47/year. Includes those who have retired from library and information services or related activities.
Trustee – $60/year. Includes those not employed in library and information services or related activities who, through their personal commitment and support, promote library and information services as members of governing boards, advisory groups, etc.
Friend - $60/year. Includes individual friends of libraries and member of special citizens caucuses interested in participating in association work.
International – $80/year. Includes librarians who do not hold U.S. citizenship and who are not employed in the U.S. or U.S. possessions, regardless of salary level.
Associate – $60/year. Includes those not employed in library and information services or related activities who, through their personal commitment and support, promote library and information services; e.g., friends and special citizen caucuses and/or individuals interested in participating in the work of the Association.
Life – Includes those who purchase basic membership in ALA for life at rates dependent upon age at the time of application. Installment plans and lump sum purchases are available. Life members receive full benefits of ALA membership with division and round table membership available for additional dues. Download and view life member application for more information.
Continuing Members – Includes those who have been active, paid ALA members for at least 25 uninterrupted years. Continuing Members receive ongoing free membership upon retirement. No ALA Dues.
Joint membership program with participating chapters
Organizational Member Dues
Learn more about our community of library and non-profit members.
$175 - Very Small Library
$300 - Small
$500 - Medium
$1,300 - Large
$2,000 - Very Large
$150 - Other - includes Chapters and Affiliates, International Libraries, and non-profit organizations other than libraries
|Size||Public Libraries by Service Population||School Libraries by # of Students in the District||Academic Libraries by Student FTE|
|Very Small||<10,000||Any single bldg or districts under 300||<1,000|
- State libraries, please contact Member and Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss dues.
Corporate Member Dues
ALA Corporate members are active advocates for libraries and librarians. Learn more about how your company can get involved.
Corporate Membership. Your membership connects you with leading buyers and decision-makers across the library world while demonstrating your commitment to the global transformation of libraries. Through your Corporate Membership you maximize your visibility and that only increases as you take full advantage of the benefits and discounts available only to Corporate Members.
As a Corporate Member, you are recognized as a valuable supporter of libraries, librarians, and other library staff. Libraries are essential to helping communities contribute to and benefit from our increasingly global economy. And your support through your ALA membership helps to ensure that the best library services are available to all. Take a few moments to review the following information to see all that you receive.
Corporate Member Key Benefits
Select the corporate membership that meets your needs.
- At the $500 level you can designate one Key Benefit (see list below) you wish to receive when you join or renew (changeable year-to-year, but not within the same year of membership).
- At the $2,000 level, you automatically receive ALL of the Key Benefits (listed below) -- PLUS, new this year, 25% off display advertising in American Libraries magazine (available only at the $2,000 level).
Discounted Membership List Rental. Receive a 15% discount on renting our membership mailing lists, including lists of members active in special interest divisions, sections, and round tables, as well as Canadian and international addresses.
Preferred Exhibit Booth Space. Receive preferred booth space assignments before other exhibitors. Get recognized in conference programs, in Cognotes (our show daily), the ALA’s Membership Pavilion, and identify your exhibit staff as “Corporate Members” on exhibit badges.
Recognition as an ALA Corporate Member in American Libraries Buyers Guide, as well as advanced search in the guide.
All Corporate Members also receive the following benefits.
ALA JobLIST: Discounted rates on online classified job ads on the top site for both job seekers and employers in the U.S.
American Libraries: A free subscription to American Libraries, the magazine of ALA, providing a wealth of information about libraries, library work and current ALA news and events.
AL Direct: Weekly breaking news and information in the award-winning e-newsletter from American Libraries.
Divisional Membership Dues – Personal, Organizational and Corporate
Select a Division based on your interests or library type - Division Quick Start Guide .
American Association of School Librarians (AASL)
$50 Regular | $20 Student | $25 Retired | $25 Non-Salaried | $75 Org/Corp
Publications: Knowledge Quest (5 issues) and AASL Hotlinks (monthly)
Sections ($5 each):
- Educators of Library Media Specialists (ESLS)
- Independent Schools (ISS)
- Supervisors (SPVS)
Special Interest Group - Free
- Retiree SIG
- Student SIG
Association for Library Collections & Technical Services (ALCTS)
$65 Regular | $15 Student | $25 Library Support Staff | $35 Retired | $75 Org/Corp
Publications: Library Resources & Technical Services (quarterly) and ALCTS Newsletter Online (6 issues; $20 subscription value included in dues)
Sections (no charge):
- Acquisitions (AS)
- Cataloging and Metadata Management (CMM)
- Collection Management (CM)
- Continuing Resources (CRS)
- Preservation and Reformatting (PARS)
Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC)
$50 Regular | $20 Student | $35 Support Staff | $35 Non-Salaried | $25 Associate | $35 Retired | $55 Org/Corp
Publications: Children and Libraries: The Journal of the ALSC (4 issues - $20 subscription value included in dues) and ALSC Matters! (quarterly)
Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)
$58 Regular | $38 Student | $38 Retired | $125 Org/Corp
Publications: College & Research Libraries (6 issues -$26 value included in dues) and C&RL News (11 issues)
Sections and Interest Groups (3 Interest Groups or 2 Sections plus one Interest Group at no charge. Additional Sections and Interest Groups at $5 each):
- Academic Library Services for International Students Interest Group
- African American Studies Librarian (AFAS)
- Anthropology and Sociology (ANSS)
- Arts (ARTS)
- Asian, African, and Middle Eastern (AAMES)
- College Libraries (CLS)
- Community and Junior College Libraries (CJCLS)
- Digital Curation Interest Group
- Distance Learning (DLS)
- Education and Behavioral Sciences (EBSS)
- Health Sciences Interest Group
- Image Resources Interest Group
- Instruction (IS)
- Law and Political Science (LPSS)
- Librarianship in For-Profit Institutions Interest Group
- Library and Information Science (LIS) Education Interest Group
- Literature in English (LES)
- Numeric and Geospatial Data Services in Academic Libraries Interest Group
- Rare Books and Manuscripts (RBMS)
- Residency Interest Group
- Science and Technology (STS)
- Slavic and East European (SEES)
- Technical Services Interest Group
- Universal Accessibility Interest Group
- University Libraries (ULS)
- Virtual Worlds Interest Group
- Western European Studies (WESS)
- Women and Gender Studies (WGSS)
Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies (ASCLA)
$53 Regular | $20 Student | $20 Retired | $60 Org/Corp | $500 State Libraries
Publication: Interface (quarterly – open access)
Interest Groups (Free):
- Bridging Deaf Cultures @Your Library Interest Group
- Consortium Management Discussion Interest Group (formerly part of ICAN)
- Collaborative Digitization Interest Group (formerly part of ICAN)
- Future of Libraries Interest Group
- Interlibrary Cooperative Interest Group (formerly part of ICAN)
- Library Consultants Interest Group
- Library Services for Youth in Custody Interest Group (formerly part of LSSPS)
- Library Services to People with Visual Disabilities that Prevent Them from Reading Standard Print Interest Group (formerly part of LSSPS)
- Library Services to the Incarcerated and Detained Interest Group (formerly part of LSSPS)
- Physical Delivery Interest Group (formerly part of ICAN)
- State Library Agencies-Library Development Interest Group
- State Library Agencies/LSTA Coordinators Interest Group
- State Library Agencies Youth Services Consultants Interest Group
- Tribal Librarians Interest Group
- Universal Access Interest Group (formerly part of LSSPS)
Library Leadership & Management Association (LLAMA)
$50 Regular | $15 Student | $65 Org/Corp
Publication: Library Administration & Management (online – quarterly)
Sections (no charge):
- Buildings and Equipment (BES)
- Fundraising and Financial Development (FRFDS)
- Library Organization and Management (LOMS)
- Human Resources (HRS)
- Measurement Assessment and Evaluation (MAES)
- Public Relations and Marketing (PRMS)
- Systems and Services (SASS)
Library and Information Technology Association (LITA)
$60 Regular | $25 Student | $30 Non-Salaried | Free Interest Groups | $90 Org/Corp
Publication: Information Technology & Libraries (online-quarterly)
Public Library Association (PLA)
$65 Regular | $25 Student | $50 Retired (includes inactive or non-salaried) | $100 Org/Corp
Publication: Public Libraries $25 subscription value included in dues)
Reference and User Services Association (RUSA)
$60 Regular | $25 Student | $30 Support Staff | $30 Retired & Non-Salaried | $80 Org/Corp
Publication: Reference & User Services Quarterly (online - $25 subscription value included in dues) and RUSA Update (online- 4 issues)
Sections (no charge):
- Business Reference and Service (BRASS)
- Collection Development and Evaluation (CODES)
- History (HS)
- MARS: Emerging Technologies in Reference (MARS)
- Reference Services Section (RSS)
- Sharing and Transforming Access to Resource Section (STARS)
United For Libraries: The Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations and Foundations (United for Libraries)
(Formerly named ALTAFF)
$50 Trustee | $50 Regular | $15 Student | $50 Org | $500 Corporate
Publications: The Voice for America's Libraries (bi-monthly; $20 subscription value included in dues)
Sections (first Section free, each additional $15)
Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA)
$60 Regular | $25 Student | $25 Retired & Non-Salaried | $25 Friend (for Friends and Advocates) | $25 Library Support Staff
Publications: Young Adult Library Services (quarterly-$70 subscription value included in dues) and YALSA E-News (weekly)
Round Table Membership Dues – Personal, Organizational and Corporate Rates
Ethnic and Multicultural Information Exchange (EMIERT)
$20 • $10 Student • $25 Org/Corp
Exhibits ( ERT)
$15 • $30 Org • Corp Free
Federal and Armed Forces Librarians (FAFLRT)
$15 • Free-Retired • Students- Free for first 2 years • $30 Org/Corp
Games & Gaming (GameRT)
$10 • $20 Org/Corp
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (GLBTRT)
$15 • $5 Student • $20 Org/Corp
Government Documents (GODORT)
Newsletter - "dttp: Documents to the People" included in dues.
$20 • $10 Student • $35 Org/Corp
Intellectual Freedom (IFRT)
$15 • $5 Student • $20 Org/Corp
International Relations (IRRT)
$5 • $5 Student • $15 Org/Corp
* ALA International Members residing outside of the 50 states may join IRRT at no charge.
$20 • $50 Org/Corp
Library History (LHRT)
$20 • $5 Student • $100 Org/Corp
Library Instruction (LIRT)
$15 • $25 Org/Corp
Library Research (LRRT)
$15 • $25 Org/Corp
* ALA Student Members enrolled in doctoral programs - Free
Library Support Staff Interests (LSSIRT)
$10 Individual Members • $10 Org/Corp
Map and Geospatial Information (MAGIRT)
$20 • $10 Student • $60 Org/Corp
New Members ( NMRT) (First 10 years)
$10 Individual Members • $10 Org/Corp (+10 years of NMRT Membership are Alumni status)
Retired Members (RMRT)
$20 Regular • $50 Org/Corp
Social Responsibilities (SRRT)
$15 Individual Members • $5 Retiree or Unemployed • Students: Free • $25 Org/Corp
$20 Individual Members • Students -Free) • $35 Org/Corp