The Spring 2017 Committee Volunteer Online Form is Available
LLAMA relies on the work and energy of active committee members and we hope you will volunteer your time and talents with us! Opportunities are available throughout LLAMA and its Communities of Practice. Information about the work of our communities and committees can be found here. Appointments are generally made throughout the spring for two-year terms, July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2019. For full consideration please submit the below committee volunteer form by June 9, 2017.
A Note about the LLAMA Reorganization and Volunteering
Last December LLAMA members overwhelmingly approved a proposal to reorganize the division, with the goal of better serving our members. While the reorganization implementation is ongoing, we've taken some immediate steps to make it easier for you to volunteer with us:
- You no longer need a separate section (now called Communities of Practice) membership in order to volunteer. Your single LLAMA membership gets you access to all seven Communities of Practice, each of which covers a distinct area of library management
- Acronyms have been eliminated so you no longer need an organizational chart to find what interests you; the names of each community/committee are clear
What are the future plans that will impact volunteering?
- In the Fall we will move to a flexible appointment schedule that allows volunteering throughout the year. We will also introduce new volunteer options in addition to standing committees, such as shorter-term project teams and micro project opportunities
- A new part of the website will be devoted to volunteering, and every LLAMA working group - committees, project teams, etc. - will have a uniform description of the group's work, including deliverables, time commitment, and support you will receive as a volunteer
If you have any questions about these changes or about volunteering, please contact LLAMA Executive Director Kerry Ward at 800-545-2433, ext. 5036, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completing the Volunteer Form
- In order to volunteer you must be a member of ALA and LLAMA. If you need to add LLAMA membership, please click here, login to the ALA site, and follow the instruction for adding membership, or call ALA Customer Service at 800-545-2433, ext. 0.
- Attendance at ALA conferences is not required to participate on a committee. We encourage committee work between ALA conferences through ALA Connect and other online resources. When you are at a conference, we want your experience to be valuable and relevant. Our committees generally meet only one time in a large, joint session that is designed to foster collaboration and communication. The rest of the time at a conference is yours to learn, network, and socialize.
- On the form you can tell us about your background, the kind of work you'd like to do, and the names of groups to which you'd like an appointment. When complete, you will click submit and see a confirmation screen. You will also receive an automated acknowledgment via email.
- Before clicking or copying/pasting the link, login to the ALA web site with your usual login/password. If you do not log in, you'll be taken to the generic ALA login screen before you can proceed to the appointment form welcome screen.
2017 Committee Volunteer Form: http://www.ala.org/CFApps/volunteer/form.cfm Note: When accessing the form, use only "LLAMA" in the drop-down menu. That will show you all volunteer opportunities. Selecting a section code in the drop-down menu is no longer required.
Once submitted, your form will be reviewed by the LLAMA president-elect and Communities of Practice leaders:
- Pixey A. Mosley, LLAMA President-elect
- Dr. Consuella A. Askew, Assessment Community
- Kevin F. Huse, Building and Equipment Community
- Jessame E. Ferguson, Library Organization and Management Community
- Holly Flynn, Marketing and Communication Community
- Elspeth Olson, New Professionals Community
- Jennifer A. Diffin, Systems and Services Community
If you are appointed to a committee, you will receive an email asking you to accept or decline the appointment, and you need only click the appropriate link.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering!