LLAMA Assessment Section
Announcement: As of July 1, 2016, LLAMA MAES will become the LLAMA Assessment Section.
The Assessment Section focuses on library assessment, evaluation, and measurement regardless of type of library or activity. We emphasize the role of assessment in demonstrating the impacts of our libraries. Our work includes recommending and developing tools, methods, guidelines, standards, and policies and procedures. We plan and deliver webinars, programs, publications, special projects, and discussion group(s). We seek opportunities to collaborate within our Section, within LLAMA, and beyond.
- Executive Committee - Charge and Roster
- Competencies and Methods - Charge and Roster
- Marketing and Communication - Charge and Roster
- Nominating - Charge and Roster
- Organizational Practices - Charge and Roster
- Resources - Charge and Roster
- Services - Charge and Roster
- Hot Topics in Assessment Discussion Group - Charge and Roster
The LLAMA volunteer form for 2017-2019 will open in Winter 2017.
Conferences and Events
ALA Annual and Midwinter Conferences
- LLAMA events at the 2016 ALA Annual Conference
- LLAMA events at previous ALA conferences
- 2016 ALA Annual Conference
Assessment Section at the 2016 Annual Conference
- 10:30 – Noon, LLAMA President’s Program, Orange County Convention Center, Room W304 G-H
- 1:00 – 2:30, (MAES-EDUCATION) Education Committee Discussion Group, Orange County Convention Center, Room W209C
Research conducted by members of the MAES Education Committee revealed a gap between the assessment knowledge and competencies expected by library employers and the assessment-related curriculum that is included in library and information science programs. Join the LLAMA MAES Education Committee in a discussion to identify logical next steps to address this gap through education and professional development.
- 3:00 – 4:00, (MAES-UMD PROGRAM) Micro Assessments of Public Services Usability, Orange County Convention Center, Room W208
In times of budget constraints and customer service orientation, we recognize improving services with limited resources are still a priority for libraries. We hope to inform our audience of quick and easy ways to assess services in order to help boost their assessment activities by creating opportunities to improve services utilizing micro-assessment strategies.
- 6:30 – 8:00, LLAMA/Spectrum Scholars Happy Hour, The Pub, 9101 International Drive
- 8:30 – 10:00, (MAES-DCLM) Assessment Depository Discussion Group, Rosen Centre, Room Salon 16
- 8:30 – 10:00, (ALCTS and MAES PROGRAM) Is the Big Deal a Good Deal? Methods and Approaches to Evaluating Bundled Content, Orange County Convention Center, Room W109B
The growing costs of bundled electronic content are a significant challenge to academic library collections budgets. While ‘Big Deals’ deliver broad coverage and create efficiencies in processing, their prevalence and increasing costs beg the question – are they worth it? Join us for an overview of methodologies and approaches to evaluating the performance and value of bundled scholarly content such as eJournals, eBooks and databases.
- 4:30 – 5:30, (MAES UMD and SASS PROGRAM) Using Qualitative Assessment to Inform Strategic Decision Making, Orange County Convention Center, Room W103A
Panelists will discuss ways to design and implement both formal and informal qualitative assessment methods and tools to inform administrative decision making and improvements in library services. Using quantitative data to improve library services has been adopted as a best practice in the library field, but qualitative data is often under-utilized compared to the hard numbers of quantitative data. Our panelists from academic and public libraries will discuss the value of using qualitative data to assess and improve their libraries. We will cover both formal qualitative assessment methods as well as smaller, informal assessment methods (i.e. pop-up and guerilla assessments).
- 10:30 – 11:30, LLAMA Kitchen Table Conversations with LLAMA President Jeff Steely, Orange County Convention Center, Room S330
Other Assessment Conferences
- LIbrary Assessment Conference Conference
- Southeastern Library Assessment Conference
- Northumbria International Conference on Performance Measurement in Libraries and Information Services
- International Conference on Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Libraries (QQML)
- LL& M Online Magazine
- Evidence Based Library and Information Practice
- Association of Research Libraries LibQUAL+®