Community of Practice: New Professionals
Charge: To produce Break Room Chats, the New Professionals Community of Practice’s successful podcast. The podcast covers topics related to leadership and management that would be of interest to new LIS professionals, including interviews with prominent LLAMA/ALA leaders, information professionals from diverse fields and backgrounds, and content related to New Professionals and/or LLAMA events or initiatives. Members will run the production from start to finish: idea generation, contacting and booking collaborators, recording, editing, and publishing. The Team will have creative freedom in producing content: the only rule is that the podcast must focus on leadership and management topics relevant to new professionals. The podcast should be made freely available on the community website and on a stable syndication service. The podcast should be transcribed and transcripts made available on the New Professionals website.
Displaying active committee roster as of 07/20/2018. Last retrieved on 07/20/2018. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
By September 1, 2017
- Develop a schedule for the coming year
- Produce one podcast per month (approximate), dropping as close as possible to the 3rd Friday of each month
- Work with the Social Media team to advertise
At Midwinter and Annual 2018 (as possible)
- Arrange and record interviews with library leaders and other interesting people. At or after Annual, record “State of the Section” with new iteration of New Professionals Leadership Team
- Submit requests for additional equipment or other budget requests (if applicable) to chair for discussion with LLAMA leadership and/or ALA staff liaisons
By May 31, 2018
- Submit final report of what the team has accomplished and recommendations for the next iteration of the team
By the close of this project, the team will have:
- Produced and distributed at least twelve podcasts.
- Made recommendations either for continuation of the program with any changes needed or for cessation of the program and redirection of effort.
- Made significant progress in reducing the transcription backlog, with the aim of completely catching up to episode production.
Expected Time Commitment:
- Three hours a month
- Ongoing communication with the New Professionals chair and with the other teams as needed
Desired skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Knowledge or experience working on podcasts
- Communication skills
- Some knowledge or experience with LLAMA and/or the New Professionals Community
Staff Contact and roles:
- Kerry Ward, firstname.lastname@example.org, 800-5454-2433, ext. 5036. Overall management, committee charges/appointments, budget requests, etc.
- Fred Reuland, email@example.com, 800-545-2433, ext. 5032. Webinar production, program planning and scheduling, conference support, etc.
- Annual podcast production budget
- Virtual meeting support
- Community email blasts/announcements