Planning & Evaluation of Library Services Committee (PELS ) Committee Meeting Minutes - June 2006
Saturday, June 24, 2006
New Orleans LA
Members & Guests present: Susanna Pathak (Chair, Virginia Commonwealth Univ), Jim Blansett (Univ of Alabama), Janifer Holt (Dartmouth), Vanaja Menon (UW-Milwaukee), Larry White (East Carolina Univ), Kathy Brown (guest, NCSU); Donna Capelle-Cook (Tulane U), Suzanne Byke (Guest, FSU)
Members Absent: Carla Burton, John Drew Racine (excused), Gus Stamatopoulos, Adam Szczepaniak
1. Welcome & Introductions
2. Review of Agenda Items & addition of other items
3. Incoming chair – Vanaja Menon (UW-Milwaukee) was introduced as the incoming PELS chair for 06-07.
4. Reminder about Monday LOMS All-Committee meeting 8-10 am, Convention Center room 293.
5. Circulation of minutes from midwinter meeting in San Antonio and approval.
6. Susanna announced the joint ARL/Univ of Virginia/Univ of Washington conference on Library Assessment to be held in September 2006 in Charlottesville, Virginia. Susanna will be giving a presentation on the Balanced Scorecard. For more info see http://www.arl.org/stats/laconf/
- Larry will work on proposal for program on planning & assessing the learning commons for 2008
- Balanced Scorecard program for ALA Annual in Washington in June 07 (Susanna is program co-chair). This LAMA MAES program is co-sponsored by PELS.
8. Website: Jim Blansett reported ongoing issues with LAMA website retooling. He expects to be ready to receive content in September 2006.
9. LSAC (Library Service Assessment Clearinghouse)
This list of assessment instruments has not been updated in a while and is very short.
Since there are no cheerleaders for the project, the decision was made to drop it.
10. Discussed list of Recently Published Books and Articles . Vanaja Menon will manage the project. It will be renamed : List of Resources for Planning & Assessment of Library Services. The new List will include web/online resources. PELS Committee members and guests have taken on responsibility for various sections. See list below. Ideally each category should have 3-5 good resources that you would recommend to someone new to assessment. Brief, informal annotations are encouraged. Some new subject areas have been added. Send your updated sections by the end of October 2006 to Vanaja Menon ( email@example.com ) and she will review and forward to Jim Blansett (webmaster)
Access Services -- Gus S
(including Circulation, Reserves, ILL, Document Delivery)
Administration & Management (decision making) Drew Racine
Archival Materials/Special Collections
Balanced Scorecard (NEW) –Susanna Pathak
Collection Development –Donna Cook
Digitization Projects-Jim Blansett
Distance Education—Larry White
Electronic Course Reserves—Gus S.
Human Resources/Personnel/Staff Development – Vanaja Menon
Instruction (information literacy) – Kathy Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Learning Commons – Suzanne Byke (email@example.com
LIBQUAL—Lynn Hufford (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Marketing (Outreach)—Larry White
Planning –Janifer Holt
Public Services (see Access Services or Marketing)--Janifer Holt
Reference & Information Services --Ericka Patillo (email@example.com)
Systems & Technology
Technical Services (including acq and cat) –Donna Cook
Virtual Reference --Patricia Flanagan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
11. Round Robin sharing of recent experiences with assessment in our libraries (continued at Monday’s LOMS All-Committee meeting). Hot topics include LibQual & the Balanced Scorecard.