The Midwestern Region includes: Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota
Northwestern University Library
Professional Librarian Faculty Vacancy
Reports to: Dean of Libraries/University Librarian
Summary: As one of the portfolio leaders, the Associate University Librarian for Digital Strategies (AULDS) advances the library’s mission and contributes to the achievement of library and university strategic goals within a highly collaborative, user-focused, research and learning environment. Managers of the following three work groups report directly to the AULDS: Repository and Digital Content Management, Bibliographic Services and Platform Management, IT Infrastructure.The AULDS also provides leadership support and oversight for the digital scholarship services working group. The AULDS collaborates with information technology units throughout the university and with external organizations on projects of interest to the library; and represents the library and/or the university in meetings, groups, and forums as needed.
For more information about this position, please visit http://www.library.northwestern.edu/about/library-administration/jobs.
- ALA accredited master’s degree in library or information science or the equivalent combination of education and relevant library or academic technologies experience required. Additional advance degree preferred. Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience leading information technology operations in an academic research library or leading IT or digital initiatives in an academic setting and/or in a library services organization.
- Demonstrated expertise in providing leadership to create and promote a clear vision; experienced decision-maker at an executive level; ability to sell ideas and follow through on decisions.
- Demonstrated expertise in supervising, developing, and coaching information technology professionals.
- Knowledge and understanding of automated library systems and services issues, digital preservation and repository issues to support planning, development and project management.
- Demonstrated ability to bring innovative and complex projects to completion, especially for projects requiring collaboration across library departments, and academic and administrative divisions across the university.
- Awareness of current trends in digital and IT strategies environment.
Description of institution: Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Deadline for applying: To Apply: Send PDF formatted letter of application, resume or vita, and names of three references to the attention of Jan Hayes, Personnel Librarian, electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications received by May 4, 2015 will receive first consideration.
Application instructions: Apply Online
Apply to: Human Resources
Data Curator, DST Systems
Kansas City, MO
DST is currently hiring a Data Curator in Kansas City, MO. This person will have the primary responsibility for insuring that the data analytics resources of DST are defined, registered and classified in order to enhance productivity of data use and ensure knowledge of data governance requirements in support of DST’s new business unit for Big Data/Data Analytics (The Applied Analytics Group). We offer great comp and excellent benefits to include relocation assistance.
Curate Data Sources
- Evaluate / understand analytics data to be cataloged
- Data Governance requirements
- Manage redundancy
- Work with data scientists / business analysts / data analysts / data architects / technical associates
- Populate and maintain data catalog
- Develop taxonomies that classify data into useful analytics categories
Promote Data Catalog & Facilitate Use
- Advertise & promote catalog usage
- Provide education and training
- Perform technical configuration of tool features
- Drive implementation of new release
- Develop metadata update processes
Candidate will possess the following:
- A solid understanding of metadata, subject classification, description
- cataloging, user experience, and knowledge organization.
- Data classification (regulatory, library science, taxonomies, ontologies)
- SQL & Database knowledge / experience
- Experience and/or training in Data Analysis, Data Modeling concepts as well as Data Governance
- Experience with data modeling tools
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products
- Interest in or familiarity with Thesaurus or Thesaurus-type software, IBM Business Glossary (or other InfoSphere applications - a bonus)
- Interest in and familiarity with UNIX operating system
Our clients rely on world-class data center management and disaster recovery services for fast, available and secure information processing. DST’s data centers are manned 24x7x365 with highly trained personnel who monitor and maintain our physical and logical environments, in addition to providing onsite computer operations and systems engineering staff to meet our clients' processing needs. As a provider of market-leading solutions in the financial and health care industries, our data centers process hundreds of millions of transactions for our customers annually.
Salary and benefits: Based on skill and experience
Deadline for applying: N/A Application instructions:
Auto Req ID # 20735
Kent State University Libraries ( http://www.library.kent.edu ) seeks an innovative library systems expert to lead its Systems Department. The Manager, University Library Systems will share a vision for advancing library computing capabilities throughout the University, the OhioLINK consortium, and the profession. The Manager will work with all library departments to ensure the effective deployment and use of technology, and cooperate with the University’s computer center on university-wide services that affect the Libraries’ systems and services.
The Systems Department employs seven technical staff and several student assistants. It manages an Innovative Interfaces ILS, EBSCO Discovery Service, ILLiad, electronic reserves, and other systems for nine campuses; manages 600 PCs in multiple locations; supports three electronic classrooms; provides support for digital initiatives; provides support for the Libraries’ public web presence; and develops and maintains a staff intranet that provides an extensive array of custom library applications developed in-house by the three full-time programmers on staff.
Required qualifications: Bachelor's degree in library or computer science, information systems, or a relevant field. Six years of professional experience in a complex technology environment, to include three years of management experience.
Desired qualifications: ALA-accredited Masters of Library Science degree or equivalent; familiarity with digital library applications and standards; management and/or configuration experience with library technologies; experience managing a complex library information technology department or team; ILS administration experience, especially with Innovative Interfaces, Inc.; experience supervising technical staff; familiarity with cataloging and metadata standards; familiarity with open source options for academic libraries; experience in managing support operation in a 24/7, multi-site environment.
Kent State University, a public research university located in Kent, Ohio, is one of the largest universities in Ohio with an enrollment of 42,185 students in the nine-campus system.
For more information on Kent State University, see http://www.kent.edu. Kent State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Salary and benefits: This is a 12-month, full-time, administrative professional position. Anticipated hiring salary range: $70,000 - $85,000. Deadline for applying: The position will remain open until filled.
Anticipated appointment date is June 1, 2015. Applications received by March 20, 2015 will receive first consideration.
For a complete description of this position, and to apply, please see position # 989924 at https://jobs.kent.edu. Applications must be submitted online and should include a letter of application, resume, and contact information for three professional references.