Getting Started with GIS
- 9:00 AM-6:00 PM (Eastern)
- 8:00 AM-5:00 PM (Central)
- 7:00 AM-4:00 PM (Mountain)
- 6:00 AM-3:00 PM (Pacific)
Getting Started with GIS is a three week course modeled on Eva Dodsworth's LITA Guide of the same name. The course provides an introduction to GIS technology and GIS (Geographic Information System) in libraries. Through hands on exercises, discussions and recorded lectures, students will acquire skills in using GIS software programs, social mapping tools, map making, digitizing, and researching for geospatial data. This three week course provides introductory GIS skills that will prove beneficial in any library or information resource position.
No previous mapping or GIS experience is necessary. Some of the mapping applications covered include:
- Introduction to Cartography and Map Making
- Online Maps
- Google Earth
- KML and GIS files
- ArcGIS Online and Story Mapping
- Brief introduction to desktop GIS software
Participants will gain the following GIS skills:
- Knowledge of popular online mapping resources
- ability to create an online map
- an introduction to GIS, GIS software and GIS data
- an awareness of how other libraries are incorporating GIS technology into their library services and projects
Who Should Attend
Librarians interested in mapping.
Eva Dodsworth is the Geospatial Data Services Librarian at the University of Waterloo Library where she is responsible for the provision of leadership and expertise in developing, delivering, and assessing geospatial data services and programs offered to members of the University of Waterloo community. Eva is also an online part-time GIS instructor at a number of Library School programs in North America.
- LITA Member: $135
- ALA Member: $195
- Non-member: $260
Moodle login info will be sent to registrants the week prior to the start date.
How to Register
Registration is now open. Courses are listed by date and you need to log in.
For questions about registration, contact ALA Registration: call 1-800-545-2433 and press 5 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all other questions or comments related to the course, contact LITA at (312) 280-4269 or email@example.com.