LITA Highlights at 2013 ALA Annual Conference
Conference Scheduler Now Available: View complete LITA schedule, including room assignments
Preconferences: registration required
Thursday, June 27 , 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Library Makerspaces: The Field Trip SOLD OUT
Held at: Chicago Public Library, Harold Washington Library Center, South Hall (400 S State St)
- Librarian panel: Sue Considine, Fayetteville Free Library; Yolande Wilburn, Chicago Public Library; Tod Colegrove, University of Nevada, Reno; Steve Teeri, Detroit Public Library; Erinn Batykefer, Library as Incubator Project
- Maker panel: Kim Moldofsky, Maker Mom; Jackie Moore, LevelUP Makerspace; Katie Slivovsky, Chicago Children’s Museum; Dan Meyer, Fab Lab, Museum of Science & Industry (Chicago)
Friday, June 28, 8:30am - 4:00pm
Introductory Python Workshop
Library Makerspaces: Participatory Play in the Library
- Register online for the ALA Conference and add a LITA Preconfernce in the "Your Preconferences and Optional Events" section.
- It is possible to register and attend a preconference only. Using the online form; in section "Registration Options," select "Division PreCon and Ticket Events Only" then select the appropriate preconference in the section "Event Explorer." When you check out, you will pay only for the workshop.
- You may also add a workshop to your existing conference registration by calling ALA Registration at 1-800-974-3084 or accessing your registration online.
- You may register online through June 21; onsite registration will also be accepted in Chicago.
LITA 101: Open House
Friday, June 28, 3:00 pm -4:00 pm
LITA Open House is a great opportunity for current and prospective members to talk with Library and Information Technology Association (LITA) leaders and learn how to make connections and become more involved in LITA activities.
Sunday Afternoon with LITA, June 30
Top Technology Trends & LITA Awards Presentation
1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
Panelists: Char Booth, Sarah Houghton, Gary Price, Aimee Fifarek, Clifford Lynch Moderator: Lorcan Dempsey
This program features our ongoing roundtable discussion about trends and advances in library technology by a panel of LITA technology experts. The panelists will describe changes and advances in technology that they see having an impact on the library world, and suggest what libraries might do to take advantage of these trends. Presentation of LITA Awards and Scholarships will take place prior to the Top Tech Trends program.
More than a book-lined Internet Cafe: LITA President's Program
3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Speaker: Cory Doctorow
LITA President Zoe Stewart-Marshall welcomes digital rights activist, science fiction writer and Boing Boing co-editor, Cory Doctorow. This lively, thought-provoking talk will look at how libraries can and do stand on the front lines of the debate over the role of free information, and free information technology in ensuring the healthy maintenance of a free society. And yes, he will talk about DRM.
Cory Doctorow (craphound.com) is a science fiction author, activist, journalist and blogger -- the co-editor of Boing Boing (boingboing.net) and the author of young adult novels like PIRATE CINEMA and LITTLE BROTHER and novels for adults like RAPTURE OF THE NERDS and MAKERS. He is the former European director of the Electronic Frontier Foundation and co-founded the UK Open Rights Group. Born in Toronto, Canada, he now lives in London.
LITA Happy Hour
5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Location: Fado Irish Pub, 100 West Grand Avenue, Chicago, IL 60654, (312) 836-0066
Please join the LITA Membership Development Committee and members from around the country for networking, good cheer, and great fun! Expect lively conversation and excellent drinks; cash bar.