The ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee will play a leadership role in developing and maintaining guidelines and principles for evaluating, adopting, and applying metadata standards. The work of the MSC is focused on the intersection between standards for resource description, access, and management, their implementation in encoding schemas and information systems, and formats for metadata serialization and exchange. To assist the ALA community in making informed and user-focused decisions relating to metadata, the Committee will review and evaluate metadata standards relevant to cultural heritage institutions, engage in outreach and education on metadata issues, and maintain liaison relationships with concerned units within ALA and with relevant outside agencies.
Public Posts from ALA Connect
- Metadata Standards Committee ALA Midwinter 2018 meeting minutes
- MSC ALA Midwinter 2018 Meeting agenda
- MSC / Metadata Interest Group presentation ALA 2017
- MSC ALA Annual 2017 Meeting Agenda and minutes
- MSC Conference Call Agenda 2017-05-08
- MSC Conference Call Agenda 2017-02-13
- MSC Conference Call Agenda 2017-01-09
- Agenda for MSC Meeting at ALA Midwinter 2017
- MSC Conference Call Agenda 2016-12-16
- May 2016 report to LITA Board
The ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee consists of 9 voting members. Four members are appointed by ALCTS and four members are appointed by LITA. RUSA appoints one voting liaison. Two co-chairs are appointed by ALCTS and LITA, one from each division.
The ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee was established in 2012.