IRC Near East and South Asia Subcommittee
Displaying active committee roster as of 07/01/2012. Last retrieved on 03/28/2015. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
Purpose: To promote relations with libraries and librarians in the countries of the Near East and South Asia and to investigate matters related to these regions as referred by the International Relations Committee. The countries included in the Near East and South Asia are: Afghanistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, India, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Maldives, Nepal, Oman, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.
Number of members: up to seven
Terms of office: two years
Term limits: four years
Near East Resources:
- Middle East Studies Association (MESA). http://mesana.org/resources/links.html
- Middle East Studies Virtual Library
Organizations with Middle East Libraries is US
- Middle East Studies. Brown University Library. http://libguides.brown.edu/mes
- Middle Eastern Library Program Research Guide. University of Texas Libraries. http://www.lib.utexas.edu/subject/melp
- Selected Bibliographical Resources. Near Eastern Studies Library Resources. University of Michigan. http://guides.lib.umich.edu/content.php?pid=18162&sid=544381
- Institute for Middle East Studies. http://www.gwu.edu/~imes/
Middle East Societies and Associations
- Adalah: The Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel
- American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee
- American Association of Teachers of Arabic
- American Institute for Yemeni Studies
- Americans for Middle East Understanding
- Amnesty International
- Association for Environmental and Developmental Studies in the Arab World
- Association for Israel Studies
- Assyrian Academic Society
- British Society for Middle Eastern Studies (BRISMES)
- Canadian Committee of the Middle East Studies Association
- Center for Arabic Study Abroad (CASA)
- Center for Policy Analysis on Palestine
- Central Eurasian Studies Society
- Council of American Overseas Research Centers (CAORC)
- European Association for Middle Eastern Studies (EURAMES)
- Institute of Turkish Studies
- International Institute of Islamic Thought
- The International Qajar Studies Association
- Ivri-NASAWI (New Association of Sephardi/Mizrahi Artists and Writers International)
- Lebanese Studies Association
- Middle East Institute/Journal
- Middle East Librarians Association (MELA)
- Middle East Medievalists
- Middle East Research Associates
- Moroccan-American Commission for Educational and Cultural Exchange (Fulbright)
- Nordic Society for Middle Eastern Studies
- Palestinian American Research Center (PARC)
- Search for Common Ground
- Society for Armenian Studies
- Society for Iranian Studies
- Syrian Studies Association
- Tetouan Asmir Association (Morocco)
- Turkish Studies Association
Africa and Middle East Book Dealers and Publishers
- Books and Serial Vendors for Africa and the Middle East: Results of a Survey of ARL Libraries.http://archive.ala.org/alcts/publications/web/acq/africa-mideast/
- Middle East Publishers Association. http://www.mepa.cc/
- Association of Jewish Book Publishers. http://www.avotaynu.com/ajbp.html
South Asia Resources:
Southeast Asia Organizations
- Association for Asian Studies
- Association of South-East Asian Studies in the United Kingdom
- British Association for South Asian Studies supports advanced research in the humanities and social sciences of South Asia.
- European Association for South Asian Studies
- International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS, Leiden)
- National Committee for Information Resources on Asia (UK)
- Regional Centre For Strategic Studies (RCSS) South Asian regional think tank, based in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- South Asia Archive and Library Group (UK)
- Southeast Asia Library Group (UK)
- Swedish South Asian Studies Network
Organizations with Asian Studies departments or Asian library and archive collections
- Ancient India & Iran Trust (Cambridge)
Bodleian Indian Institute Library (University of Oxford)
British Library (London), link to South Asia resources guide
British Museum (London), libraries and archives
Centre for South Asian Studies, University of Edinburgh
Columbia University Libraries, South & Southeast Asian Studies
COCSALD—Committee on South Asian Libraries and Documentation. http://www.consald.org/
- Cornell University LibraryDigital South Asia Library (Chicago)
Duke University, South Asian Studies
Ferguson Centre for African and Asian Studies, The Open University
Indian Statistical Institute, Delhi Centre Library Includes good links to other Indian library websites
Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilizations, Aga Khan University
Institute of Ismaili Studies (London)
International Rice Research Institute Manila, Philippines
Michigan State University, Asian Languages
Monash University Asian Studies Research Collection National Archives (London) for UK government records
National Library Board of Singapore
National Library of Scotland link to South Asian collections
Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland (London)
Royal Commonwealth Society Library collections (in Cambridge University Library)
Royal Geographical Society (with The Institute of British Geographers)
SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London)
SOAS Library (London)
The Kern Institute, Universiteit Leiden
The Libraries & Archives in South Asia (LASA) wiki (a collaborative effort to compile a guide to South Asian libraries and archives for academics and researchers in the humanities and social sciences). Please contribute to the wiki.
South/Southeast Asia Library. University of Berkeley. http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/SSEAL/
- University of Chicago, South Asian Studies
University of Virginia, Center for South Asian Studies
ARTstor Provides access to architectural images from South and Southeast Asia, particularly religious architecture - shrines, temples, monasteries. Link for University of Cambridge access; Raven password required off campus.
Bibliography of Asian Studies An invaluable reference resource, indexing articles, book chapters and conference proceedings from 1971 - present. Especially good coverage for the arts & humanities.
Bichitra: Online Tagore Variorum An amazing resource containing nearly all of Tagore's writings in Bengali and English. The website can be navigated in English, Bengali and Hindi, and the search engine allows you to locate any word or phrase used in his works.
Digital Himalaya Portal to multimedia anthropological information from the Himalayan region. Project based at the Department of Social Anthropology, University of Cambridge.
ejournals@cam University of Cambridge members are recommended to use this ejournal portal maintained by the University Library to link to full text electronic journals. Enter the journal title. Then click on a supplier's link immediately below the journal title, taking note of the date range available.
Ethnographic Video Online (Select: Ethnographic video online Volume 1. Raven password required off campus). Access to over 800 videos, including field recordings, interviews, performances, documentaries and animations. Films include transcripts and thumbnails. Transcripts are searchable. Alternatively browse by geographic location, then select films by country and/or cultural group.
Index Islamicus University of Cambridge access; Raven password required off campus. Select Index Islamicus from list of databases. Coverage: books, articles and reviews on Islam and the Muslim world. Includes publications in European languages relating to all aspects of Islam and the lives of Muslims, past and present in countries in which Muslims are a majority of the population, as well as Muslim minorities elsewhere. Pre-Islamic Arabian background is included, as well as most aspects of the history and languages of the pre-and non-Muslim Turkic peoples.
NewspaperSG enables you to search historic English-language newspapers from Singapore and Malaya, 1831-2009, in the National Library of Singapore. It links to full-text in many cases, but excludes articles from third-party news sources (such as Reuters, AFP and AP) published during the last 70 years, plus Straits Times articles published after 1989.
SAALG Blog South Asia Archive and Library Group blog - keep abreast of events and news relating South Asian collections.
Southeast Asian Library Group blog News and information from libraries and archives about Southeast Asian collections.
Times of India database (1838-2003) incorporating the Bombay Times and Journal of Commerce (1839-1859) and Bombay Times and Standard (1860-1861), as well as the Times of India (1861-2003). Select Times of India (ProQuest) for University of Cambridge access; Raven password required off campus.
South Asia Book Dealers and Publishers
- Foreign Boo Dealers Directory (ALCTS). http://www.ala.org/CFApps/bookdealers/results.cfm?cc=2
- South/Southeast Asia Library—South Asia Resources. http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/SSEAL/SouthAsia/wsaonlin.html
The ALA International Relations Committee encourages all ALA members to serve on a committee. If you are interested in volunteering, please go to the Committee Volunteer Form (you will need your ALA login). For membership questions or having problems login in, please call the ALA Customer Service Office 1-800-545-2433, ext. 5) for more information.