Committee on Literacy
Displaying active committee roster as of 07/01/2010. Last retrieved on 10/20/2016. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
Public Posts from ALA Connect
- Committee on Literacy Meeting and Literacy Assembly Meeting
- Committee on Literacy All-Subcommittee Planning Meeting
- 2013 COUNCIL RESOLUTION REAFFIRMING ALA’s COMMITMENT TO BASIC LITERACY
- School Library Resource for Digital Literaacy
- Meeting Notes from Annual 2013
- Agenda for Midwinter Assembly and ALL Subcommittee Meetings
- Meetings at Midwinter 2014
- Our work this year--please read and respond
- Committee on Literacy Events at 2013 Annual Conference
- Notes from 6/10 Conference Call
The Committee on Literacy consists of 10 members appointed by the Committee on Appointments, in cooperation with the ALA president-elect, serving 2 year staggered terms and led by a chair, appointed annually.
Subcommittees & Task Forces
- Literacy Assembly
Definition of Literacy
Adopted by the Committee on Literacy June 24, 2005, at its meeting during ALA Annual Conference in Chicago:
[Literacy is defined as the ability to use] "printed and written information to function in society, to achieve one's goals, and to develop one's knowledge and potential." United States Department of Education, 2003 National Assessment of Adult Literacy.
Meeting at ALA Annual, Orlando
Joint meeting of all association and council committees to which the Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services (ODLOS) liaisons, followed by business meetings:
- Committee on Diversity and its sub-committees (Spectrum Advisory Committee, Spectrum Scholars Interest Group, Spectrum Jury, Diversity Research Grants Advisory Committee)
- Committee on Literacy
- Committee on Rural, Native & Tribal Libraries of All Kinds