Diversity Council, a subcommittee of the Committee on Diversity
The diversity council serves as a representative body for the committees and organizations within the American Library Association (ALA) that promote the needs of traditionally underrepresented constituencies. Members are appointed to diversity council by the cod chair, with recommendations from the presidents/chairs of the stakeholder committees and organizations. These groups include: the American Indian library association (AILA), the Asian Pacific Librarians Association (APALA), the Black Caucus of the American Library Association (BCALA), the Chinese American Librarians Association (CALA), REFORMA (the national association to promote library and information services to Latinos and the Spanish speaking), the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Round Table (GLBTRT), and the Libraries Serving Special Populations section of the Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies (ASCLA-LSSPS). The diversity council is charged: (1)to provide a forum to communicate the needs and concerns of the above groups to cod and thus to the ALA council, (2) to bring together the constituent groups for mutual support in recognition of their similar goals and missions and to promote their common interests, and (3) to recommend to cod strategic actions and initiatives contributing to the diversification of leadership within the ALA and the profession and to support the programs and activities of cod toward this end.
Elizabeth B. Myers (Member, July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2015)
Michelle Harrell Washington (Staff Liaison, February 1, 2013, to June 30, 2020)
Displaying active committee roster as of 07/01/2014. Last retrieved on 03/10/2014. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
Public Posts from ALA Connect
- Diversity Council list of candidates for ALA Council, President-elect, & Treasurer
- Program Proposal for ALA Annual/Possible agenda item at Midwinter?
- Committee on Diversity All Sub-Committee Business Meeting (ALA)
- Midwinter 2012 Diversity Council Agenda
- Committee on Diversity All Sub-Committee Business Meeting I (ALA)
- Diversity Council Business Meeting in conjunction with Committee on Diversity All Subcommittee Meeting - MW 2011
- DiversiTEA: Diversity Research Discussion
- Agenda - Diversity Council - 2009 Midwinter Business Meeting
- Agenda - Diversity Council - 2008 Annual Business Meeting
- Agenda - Diversity Council - 2006 Annual Business Meeting
Members are appointed to Diversity Council by the Committee on Diversity (COD) Chair, with recommendations from the Presidents/Chairs of the stakeholder committees and organizations. These groups include the American Indian Library Association (AILA), Asian Pacific American Librarians Association (APALA), Black Caucus of the American Library Association (BCALA), Chinese American Librarians Association (CALA), The National Association to Promote Library and Information Services to Latinos and the Spanish-Speaking (REFORMA), Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Round Table (GLBTRT), and The Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies Libraries Serving Special Populations Section (ASCLAs LSSPS).