American Library Association Affiliation Guidelines
The ALA Executive Board approves the following criteria and procedures for affiliation:
1. The organization should be national or international in scope;
2. The organization should be nonprofit;
3. The organization should have interests consistent with those of ALA;
4. The organization can affiliate only at one level, either with the Association or with a subdivision of the Association;
5. It has a sufficiently large membership (usually 100) and has been in existence for a sufficient time (usually 4 years) to give the promise of worthwhile activity and continued support;
6. The organization's constitution and bylaws do not conflict with ALA's;
7. The organization does not discriminate in its membership on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disabilities, or national origin.
Concerning procedures, it is recommended that:
1. Applications for affiliation should be supported by:
a) A statement including the year of founding; the total number of members; a list of journals and other publications, if any; or other evidence of interest in libraries and librarianship or information science.
b) A brief history of the organization, including its aims.
c) A copy of its current constitution and bylaws.
d) The names and addresses of current officers.
e) A statement of ways in which the applicant visualizes cooperation with ALA.
f) A statement that the organization does not discriminate in its membership on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disabilities, or national origin.
2. The ALA Constitution and Bylaws Committee will examine the applicant's constitution and bylaws to see that no conflict exists between the ALA constitution and bylaws and the applicant's.
3. The Executive Director will evaluate the other documents mentioned above in point 1 to make a preliminary determination concerning the applicant's meeting ALA criteria and will so report to the Executive Board.
4. The Executive Board will act on the Executive Director's report and forward recommended application to the Council for its action.
ALA Affiliate dues are $150.00 per year. Dues are payable upon acceptance by ALA of your Affiliate application as discussed above. Your Affiliate anniversary will be one year from the month you begin paying dues and your status will automatically renew upon payment of dues in subsequent years.
You may end your Affiliates status by formal notice to ALA's Executive Director or by non-payment of dues. ALA reserves the right to withdraw your Affiliate status for reasons as described in the ALA Constitution and Bylaws for any member. Affiliate dues are currently tied to the dues level for 'Other Non-Profit Organizations' and may be changed upon a vote of the membership.
Adopted by ALA Executive Board
October 8, 1982; Amended 2010