Census 2000 Historical
- Population and Housing Items on the General Schedule: 1790-2000 [U. of Michigan]
- Metropolitan Area Definitions, 1950-1993
- Census Index: online index to Census publications from Ohio State University. Currently includes publications from 1790-1945. Based on Census Bureau publications, Dubester and the Monthly Catalog.
- Decennial Census Information at Columbia University Libraries: Guide to general census monographs, geography and maps, obtaining original census schedules and guides to each individual census from 1790-2000
- Guide to Historical Population and Housing Census Statistics and Maps for Small Area Geography: 1910-1990 [Univ. of North Carolina-Chapel Hill]
- Polly-Alida Farrington. Subject Index to the 1980 Census of Population and Housing. Specialized Information Products: Clifton PArk, NY, 1985.
- Michael R. Lavin, Jane Weintrop, and Cynthia Cornelius. Subject Index to the 1990 Census of Population and Housing. Epoch Books: Kenmore, NY, 1997.
- Laurence Frederick Schmeckebier, The statistical work of the national government. Baltimore, Md., The Johns Hopkins Press, 1925. (The Institute for Government Research [of the Brookings Institution] Studies in Administration. [no. 11])
- Suzanne Schulze, Population information in nineteenth century census volumes, Phoenix, AZ : Oryx Press, 1983. 446 p.
- Suzanne Schulze, Population information in twentieth century census volumes, 1900-1940, Phoenix, AZ : Oryx Press, 1985. 274 p.
- Suzanne Schulze, Population information in twentieth century census volumes, 1950-1980, Phoenix, Ariz. : Oryx Press, 1988. 317 p.
- Bureau of the Census catalog of publications, 1790-1972. United States. Bureau of the Census. Washington : U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Social and Economic Statistics Administration, Bureau of the Census : for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.., 1974. 591 p.
- Bureau of the Census catalog, 1964-84. United States. Bureau of the Census. [Washington, For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S Govt. Print. Off.]
- Census catalog and guide, 1985- United States Bureau of the Census. Washington, D.C. : U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census : For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O.
- Population and housing inquiries in U.S. decennial censuses, 1790- 1970. United States. Bureau of the Census. [Washington] U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Social and Economic Statistics Administration, Bureau of the Census . 179 p. (Census Bureau Working Paper No. 39) C 3.229: 39
- Centennial Celebration U.S. Census Bureau.
- History and Organization of the Census [PDF]
- Measuring America:The Decennial Censuses From 1790 to 2000. United States. Bureau of the Census.
- 200 Years of U.S. Census Taking: Population and Housing Questions, 1790-1990 (C 3.2: T93)
Complete digitized versions of census reports and atlases.1790
Census Bureau: 2 reports1810
Census Bureau: 3 reports1820
Census Bureau: 1 report1830
Census Bureau: 1 report1840
Census Bureau: 3 reports1850
Census Bureau: 4 reports
The Seventh Census of the United States: 1850 U.S. Serial Set, Number 686 House Miscellaneous Document, 32nd Congress, 2nd Session. [Library of Congress]
Mortality statistics of the seventh census of the United States, 1850 [Making of America]
Statistical view of the United States, embracing its territory, population -- white, free colored, and slave - moral and social condition, industry, property and revenue; the detailed statistics of cities, towns, and counties; being a compendium of the seventh census; to which are added the results of every previous census, beginning with 1790. [Making of America]1860
Census Bureau 5 reports and instructions to U.S. Marshals and assistants.
Preliminary report on the eighth census. 1860. [Making of America]
Population of the United States in 1860 U.S. Serial Set, Number 1202 House Miscellaneous Document, 38th Congress, 1st Session. [Library of Congress]
Agriculture of the United States in 1860 U.S. Serial Set, Number 1203 House Miscellaneous Document, 38th Congress, 1st Session. [Library of Congress]
Manufactures of the United States in 1860 U.S. Serial Set, Number 1204 House Miscellaneous Document, 38th Congress, 1st Session. [Library of Congress]
Statistics of the United States in 1860 U.S. Serial Set, Number 1205 House Miscellaneous Document, 38th Congress, 1st Session. [Library of Congress]1870
Statistical atlas of the United States based on the results of the ninth census 1870 with contributions from many eminent men of science and several departments of the government. [Library of Congress]1890
Statistical atlas of the United States, based upon the results of the eleventh census [Library of Congress]1990
http://www.census.gov/prod/www/abs/decenial.html: Includes almost all reports except census tracts.
Data Sources (Multi-Year)Selected Historical Decennial Census Population and Housing Unit Counts, 1790-1990 (HTML)
United States Historical Census Browser (1790-1960) [U. of Virginia]
Guide [U. of Michigan]
Integrated Public Use Microdata Series (1850-1990)
Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (1790-2000)
Data Sources (Single Censuses)1970 Census Summary Tape Files & 1980 PUMS E [University of Wisconsin-Madison, Center for Demography and Ecology]
1970 Fifth Count Special Tabulation [U. of California, Berkeley]
CD-ROM Titles for Sale by the Census Bureau, 1980-1990
Guide to 1990 Census CD-ROMs [U. of Minnesota]
1990 Census PL 94-171
Demographic Profile Generator [U. of Missouri]
Subject Summary Tape Files (SSTF) [U. of California, Berkeley]
Summary Tape Files (STF) 1 & 3:
Maps1990 Census Tract Outline Maps : PDF re-creations of 1990 Census Tract/BNA outline maps and differ from the original 1990 Census Tract Outline Maps. Include boundaries and numbers of tracts/BNAs and features underlying the boundaries. Also include the boundaries, names and codes for 1990 American Indian/Alaska Native areas, counties, county subdivisions, and places.
Mable/Geocorr Geographic Correspondence Engine
CIESIN Mapping Program