ALA elections are held in the Spring of each year. Election results are announced in early May. Every Fall, the GLBTRT Membership Promotion Committee takes nominations for open offices.
To run for office, all volunteers and nominees must register in the ALA election system. (See instructions for candidates below).
If you wish to nominate someone for an office, please do as soon as possible. Share your nominations with Sherry Machones, GLBTRT Membership Committee Promotion Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org by the close of Midwinter Meeting January 28, 2014. Nominees will be notified that day. Nominees will have about a week to enter their information into the ALA election system. (See instructions for candidates below).
Visit the ALA Election page for more general ALA election information, schedules, and past results.
Open Offices for 2014 Election
- Chair-Elect (serves a three year cycle as: chair-elect 2014–2015; chair 2015–2016; past-chair 2016–2017)
- Secretary (two-year term: 2014–2016)
- Directors-at-Large three seats, two-year terms: 2014–2016)
To be eligible to hold an office, the candidate must:
- be a member of ALA and the GLTBRT
- attend meetings at Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings
- be able to engage in deliberations via email throughout the year
- attend scheduled virtual meetings
- and fill out their information in the ALA election system by February 4, 2013 (see Instructions for Candidates below).
Instructions for Candidates
- To be on the ballot, candidates must complete the below biographical information form no later than February 4, 2013.
- Candidates must click the SUBMIT button, and then the FINISH button to successfully submit their information.
- Candidates are responsible for editing biographical information and statements. ALA staff will not proofread or edit biographical information.
- To register to be a candidate, go to the ALA Elections page (https://www.alavote.org/Nomination/Login/Login.aspx?e=120).
- Click on the “Register” link to fill out the registration information and to set your passcode for the Nominee/Candidate process. Press [enter] to register.
- If you see “follow this link to login,” click on it.
- You will be back on the initial page. Enter your email address and the password that you just created. Click on [sign in].
- Next you indicate that you want to run for a GLBTRT office. At the “Select ballot” pull down, choose “63. GLBTRT” and click on [go].
- Next select the office you wish to run for and then click on [go].
- The first entry, Display Name, is how you would like your name displayed on the ballot. Once you have filled in or edited your name, click on “Next”.
- At the page with all of the question/categories to fill in, you must fill in the required fields (noted by a red asterisk) before you can save your work. Please save your work often by clicking on “Save/Preview.” If you are not finished entering your information, go to the bottom left of the page and click on “previous” so that you can enter more information.
- You will notice the word count monitor. Once you reach the limit, the word count monitor turns RED.
- Once you have reviewed your work, if you would like to make any changes, click the “Previous” button.
- When you are finished, PRINT (from the Save/Preview page) AND RETAIN A COPY OF YOUR COMPLETED FORM FOR YOUR RECORDS AND FUTURE USE.
- Click on the “Submit” button and then the “Finish” button.
- To make additions or corrections, go back to the initial ALA Election page and login again.