ALA elections are held in the Spring of each year. Election results are announced in early May. Every Fall, the GLBTRT Membership Promotion Committee takes nominations for open offices.
To run for office, all volunteers and nominees must register in the ALA election system. (See instructions for candidates below).
Nominations must be sent to Sherry Machones (firstname.lastname@example.org), GLBTRT Membership Committee Promotion Chair, by the close of Midwinter Meeting January 28, 2014.
Visit the ALA Election page for more general ALA election information, schedules, and past results.
Open Offices for 2014 Election
To learn about the board, the below roles, visit the board page.
- Chair-Elect (serves a three year cycle as: chair-elect 2014–2015; chair 2015–2016; past-chair 2016–2017)
- Secretary (two-year term: 2014–2016)
- Directors-at-Large three seats, two-year terms: 2014–2016)
To be eligible to hold an office, the candidate must:
- be a member of ALA and the GLTBRT
- attend meetings at Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings
- be able to engage in deliberations via email throughout the year
- attend scheduled virtual meetings
- and fill out their information in the ALA election system by January 31, 2014 (see Instructions for Candidates below).
Instructions for Candidates
- To be on the ballot, candidates must complete the below biographical information by January 31, 2014.
- Candidates must click the SUBMIT button, and then the FINISH button to successfully submit their information.
- Candidates are responsible for editing biographical information and statements. ALA staff will not proofread or edit biographical information.
- To register to be a candidate, go to the ALA Elections page (https://www.alavote.org/nomination/2014users.html).
- You will see a Self Register link on the first page within the bolded text at the top of the page.
- Click on the Register link to fill out the registration information and to set your passcode for the Nominee/Candidate process.
- Once in the Nomination site you will need to select your ballot. Once you have made your selection, click on "GO".
- Next you will select the office you wish to run for and then click on "GO".
- The first entry, Display Name, is how you would like your name displayed on the ballot. Once you have filled in your name, click on "Next".
- When you go to the page with all of the question/categories to fill in, some of the question/categories are required (Current Position, Member Since, and Member ID.). These must be filled in or you will lose your work if you logout or are timed-out. If you try and Save/Preview your work the system will warn you that these fields are required by placing the word Required in RED text next to the field(s).
- When you go to the page with all of the question/categories to fill in, some of the question/categories have a maximum number of words that are allowed for your entry. If you exceed the word limit in a specific field and logout or are timed-out you will lose your work within that question/category.
- Once you click "Save/Preview" you will be notified if you exceeded a word limit in any field. Word limits are indicated in each field heading in RED text (Exceeds Word Maximum of ###). These fields must be corrected before you are able to save your entry.
- You can preview you entries as often as you wish by clicking the "Save/Preview" button. This will show you exactly what you have entered and saved. You should always preview your work before logging out.
- It is recommended that you PRINT (from the Save/Preview page) AND RETAIN A COPY OF YOUR COMPLETED FORM FOR YOUR RECORDS AND FUTURE USE.
- If at any time during the process, you run into technical difficulties or have a question, please click on the "Support" button located at the bottom of the page.