Federal and Armed Forces Libraries Round Table Board Meeting

ALA Midwinter Meeting, 2004
San Diego Convention Center, San Diego, CA
Monday, January 12, 2004 Attendees: Mary Boone, Carol Bursik, Margaret Groner, Lynn McDonald, Patricia May (briefly), Donna Murico, Marie L. Nelson, Fran Perros, Maria Pisa, Linda M. Resler, Reginald M. Scott, Lucille M. Rosa, Jane Sessa
  1. Margaret Groner called the meeting to order at 9:38 am.
  2. Budget Report (discussion continued from January 10 Board Meeting). Carol Bursik passed out the current 2004 budget to allow a comparison to aid in planning the 2005 budget, and provide a point of discussion about line items that may require adjustments. For 2005, Category 5302, meal functions, is probably projected too high, at $4500. (Margaret Groner stated that last year we paid $20/per person for 35 people = $700.) Also, Carol will reduce Category 4400, Expected Donations. Patricia May arrived at this point and discussed the budget with Carol, who will redraft the FY2005 budget and send it out to the Board later via email.
  3. FLICC Report. Lynn McDonald reported:
    1. A FLICC Forum will take place on March 25, discussing E-competencies for E-government. Karen Evans will be one of the speakers.
    2. The Homeland Security Working Group is preparing a position description for a GS-14 Librarian.
    3. The Personnel Working Group is the new name for the Human Resources Working Group. Mary Boone reported that they are discussing broadening horizons, expanding professional knowledge and core competencies for federal librarians.
    4. Competitive Sourcing Working Group will have its first meeting on 16 January. They will compile people resources and information to post to the web.
  4. New Business
    1. It was suggested that FAFLRT create a Manual to aid current and future officers in the direction of its operations. (This is in addition to the Bylaws.) To accomplish this, an ad hoc committee was formed, consisting of: Linda Resler, Lucille Rosa, Margaret Groner and Andrea Gruhl.
    2. The 2004 Annual meetings were discussed. On Saturday, June 26, the Breakfast/social time will start at 8:00 am, followed by the Annual Membership Meeting at 8:30 am. Our Program will take place from 10:30 am - 1200 noon. The Board Meetings will be held at 2:00 - 4:00 pm on June 26, and 09:30 - 11:30 am on Monday, June 28.
    3. The status of future FAFLRT receptions was discussed. It was decided to reinstate the Friday night reception at the summer 2005 conference. We will also put an invitation in the newsletter inviting everyone to an informal Friday night social get-together at the June Orlando conference. The Rosen Center or Peabody Hotels were mentioned as possible locations. Margaret Groner will reserve space at a hotel for this informal evening.
    4. Margaret Groner will start a FAFLRT blog for the annual meeting. She will send out the User ID and Password on request.
    5. Michael Gorman, a candidate for ALA President, stopped in at our meeting and presented his platform.
    6. It was mentioned that the Washington ALA Office should coordinate more with FLICC, with special emphasis on outsourcing information. Lynn McDonald suggested she and Carol email Susan at FLICC as an initial contact.
    7. A group picture was taken.
  5. The meeting was adjourned at 10:50 am.
Respectfully submitted, Marie L. Nelson