Federal and Armed Forces Libraries Round Table Board Meeting
Attendees: Jennifer Bushong, Margaret J. Groner, Mike Morrison, Marie L. Nelson, Janet Ormes, Fran Perros, Maria Pisa, Joan R. Taylor, Eileen Welch
- The meeting was called to order at by FAFLRT President Jennnifer Bushong.
- The agenda was accepted.
- Minutes of the
January 27, 2003Board meeting were amended to correct the attendance names and accepted.
- Treasurer’s Report and Financial Statement were distributed and accepted. (Carol Bursik absent) (See Annual Membership Meeting minutes,
June 21, 2003, for details.)
- Newsletter Report. Fran Perros reported for Jane Sessa. The back page of the newsletter, listing officers and committee chairs, needs to be revised, and our assistance is requested. The newsletter needs more advertisers. The next deadline is
July 23, 2003.
- Committee Reports
- Archives/History – No report.
- Annual Program. Maria Pisa
i. Approximately 200 attended our program that morning and the speaker was well-received.
ii. A good speaker for the 2004 Orlando Program is being sought, with a decision expected in the next few weeks. The topic submitted to
iii. 2005 Program. Janet Ormes proposed a program topic on the different methods of knowledge transfer that aren’t text-based. Tom Hogan of streamingmedia.com was mentioned as a potential speaker.
- Nominating Committee. The Report had been given at the General Membership Meeting that morning. Margaret Groner will solicit people to be on the next nominating committee, as well as solicit nominees for the spring 2004
elections. Mike Morrison suggested it would be valuable for the Vice President to alternate between federal and military nominees. ALA
- FAFLRT Web Site. James King will be asked to redirect web pages.
Round Table Coordinating Committee. Jennifer Bushong will find out the name of our new ALA Councilor. ALA
- Awards Committee. Maria Pisa reported that three awards had been presented that morning at the General Membership meeting. We also had a good range of qualified candidates for the 2003 Conference Sponsorship Award. She will submit press releases to the winners’ institutions, the FAFLRT web page and the Federal Librarian.
- Booth Coordinator. Eileen Welch reported that our current conference booth is mostly unmanned. She will reserve booth space for the 2004 Midwinter Conference.
- Federal Personnel. Stephanie Jones, chair, was absent, and the others were unclear of the current scope of this committee. Margaret Groner will contact her to verify committee focus (A-76?) and whether or not she still wants to chair the committee.
- Liaison Reports.
Liaison. No report. ALA
- Coalition. No report.
- Public Employees Round Table. Fran Perros stated that this was heavily reported about in the last Federal Librarian.
- FLICC. No report. Janet Ormes stated that FLICC offers excellent courses.
- Education Assembly. No report. A replacement is needed for this liaison activity.
- Old Business. None
- New Business.
- Web Page. Jennifer Bushong reported that James King informs us that there are 245 members on the FAFLRT discussion list. Also, the FAFLRT web site was rebuilt to comply with the new ALA Content Management System.
- IFLA. Andrea sent Jennifer an email from IFLA regarding their non-support of the U.S. Patriot Act, and their support of the following statement by Don Wood, Program Officer/Communications,
, Office for Intellectual Freedom (email dated ALA 6/12/03):
Libraries are for democracy not surveillance
“The threat of covert monitoring is intimidating to library clients and can inhibit library use, especially among those who have suffered under authoritarian regimes. IFLA is disappointed that its concerns about the USA PATRIOT Act and the 2002 guidelines issued by the Attorney General have been justified. IFLA supports initiatives taken by the American Library community to protect the privacy of their clients.”
- Mike Morrison’s new email is Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org. He would like all the officers to send him an email, so he can enter them into his address book.
- Margaret Groner’s term as FAFLRT President begins at the conclusion of this meeting.
- At the
June 23, 2003joint Awards Reception we will once again announce our award winners.
- FAFLRT is co-sponsoring a
program with GODORT on ALA 23 June, 2003.
- As all business has been concluded, the FAFLRT Board Meeting scheduled for
23 June, 2003was cancelled.
- Adjournment. Jennifer Bushong adjourned the meeting at and “passed the gavel” to the incoming President, Margaret J. Groner.
Marie L. Nelson