- 1:00 PM-2:00 PM (Eastern)
- 12:00 PM-1:00 PM (Central)
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM (Mountain)
- 10:00 AM-11:00 AM (Pacific)
During this hour-long webinar, special collections librarians that include Spectrum Scholars and members of the RBMS Diversity Committee will speak about different career paths within the rare books, archives, and special collections profession. Each professional will share stories about how they chose their careers and contribute to different facets of the special collections profession, from public services and curating exhibits to collection development and digital initiatives. They will also reflect upon the need for greater diversity and inclusion in special collections, and in the world of rare books and archives more generally. The goal of this webinar is to encourage Spectrum Scholars to consider careers in the special collections profession and learn about ways they can get involved in the Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) of ACRL, a division of ALA. There will also be information about the Society of American Archivists, as well as various scholarships and learning opportunities. Attendees will be invited to visit the site RBMS Diversity Stories, which features interviews with special collections librarians and archivists.
- Gain insight into careers in the special collections profession
- Learn about the need for diversity in the archives and rare books world
- Learn how to get involved with ACRL's Rare Books and Manuscripts Section, the Society of American Archivists, and more
- Learn about scholarship and professional development opportunities
Who Should Attend
Anyone interested in increasing diversity within the archives, rare books, and special collections world, with a specific emphasis on librarians of color and Spectrum Scholars.
- Curtis Small, Senior Assistant Librarian and Coordinator, Public Services, Special Collections Department, University of Delaware Library
- Maria Victoria Fernandez, Assistant Curator for Digital Outreach, John Carter Brown Library, Brown University
- Jose Guerrero, Diversity Resident Librarian, Penn State University Libraries
- Nathaniel Moore, Archivist, The Freedom Archives
How to Register
A recording of this webinar may be viewed at https://ala.adobeconnect.com/payw3kjpravy/
After viewing the presentation, please consider taking the survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TTDMPQK to help us better plan for upcoming webinars.
- Access to Adobe Connect
Please contact the Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services' Spectrum staff at email@example.com with questions.