Core offers numerous online learning opportunities to meet your needs. Scheduled throughout the year, Core's webinars, web courses, and e-Forums are affordable and timely. Enhance your skills, get practical how-to-information, and stay up-to-date on trends with our professional learning opportunities presented by experts from the field. Topics include Access and Equity, Assessment, Leadership, Metadata and Collections, Operations and Buildings, and Technology.
Leadership and Management Competencies
Based on work done by the Library Leadership and Management Association, Core uses a framework of 14 definitive competencies that can be applied across roles, career stages, and library types.
Core learning opportunities reach a wide range of library professionals in many different areas, including…
1. Access and Equity
- Advocacy in areas such as copyright, equity of access, open access, net neutrality, and privacy
- Preservation Week
- Equity, diversity, and inclusion, both within the division and the profession, as related to Core’s subject areas
- Emphasizing the role of assessment in demonstrating the impacts of libraries or library services
- Assessment tools, methods, guidelines, standards, and policies and procedures
- Developing leaders at every level
- Best practices for inclusion by using an equity lens to examine leadership structures
- Leadership for talent management and human resources
4. Metadata and Collections
- Best practices and knowledge in work areas that support collections and discovery
- Best practices for equity, diversity, and inclusion in the development and description of collections
- Standards and best practices for selection, acquisition, description, access, and preservation of information resources
- Preservation of both print, media, and digital resources
5. Operations and Buildings
- Changing trends in organizational structures, services, staff operations, and facilities
- Best practices for inclusive practices and design
You can review past webinar offerings from the three ALA divisions that have come together to create Core, by visiting the following webinar pages:
and Core are committed to supporting our members, staff, and all librarians and library workers during these uncertain times. We will continue to offer online learning opportunities, and will do our best to accommodate the remote needs of our attendees. We will also continue to offer group registration, providing individual logins for each group member registered for Core webinars. Please contact Core with any questions or concerns.
*Core Webinars Available for Free to ALA Student Members and LIS Faculty.