“Toy Story 4” Characters are Honorary Chairs for Library Card Sign-up Month 2019!
September is Library Card Sign-up Month, a time when the American Library Association (ALA) and libraries nationwide join together to remind parents, caregivers and students that signing up for a library card is the first step towards academic achievement and lifelong learning.
Disney and Pixar’s “Toy Story 4” characters Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Bo Peep and friends are joining ALA on an adventure to promote the value of a library card. They’ll be reminding the public that signing up for a library card opens a world of infinite possibilities: libraries offer resources and services that help people pursue their passions and give students the tools to succeed in school and beyond.
In “Toy Story 4," Woody has always felt confident about his place in the world and that his priority is taking care of his kid, whether that’s Andy or Bonnie. But when Bonnie adds a reluctant new toy called “Forky” to her room, a road trip adventure alongside old and new friends will show Woody how big the world can be for a toy.
Ways to Celebrate
1. Visit your library.
Head to your library during September to see what's new and take part in the celebration. Libraries across the country are participating. Do you have friends who don't have library cards? Invite them to the library.
2. Participate in our #GetLibraryCarded Promotion
Showing your library card gets you access to great things all year-round, but during Library Card Sign-up Month it will also get you the chance to win $100. Help us spread the word about the value of libraries this September by snapping a picture with your library card and posting it to Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #GetLibraryCarded. You'll be automatically entered in a drawing to win a $100 Visa gift card! Entries can also be submitted by posting as a comment or wall post on the I Love Libraries Facebook page.
Don't forget to cover up any personally identifiable information!
The promotion begins Sunday, September 1 at noon CT and ends Sunday, September 22 at noon CT. Librarians and library lovers are encouraged to participate.
The #GetLibraryCarded Promotion is open to residents of the United States, Washington, D.C., and U.S. Territories. Employees of the American Library Association are not eligible to participate. Official rules (PDF)
3. Help spread the word.
- Happy #LibraryCardSignup Month! Celebrate by getting your very own library card this September. http://bit.ly/LibraryCardSignUp
- There’s no better time than September to get your library card—it’s #LibraryCardSignup Month! Visit your library today! http://bit.ly/LibraryCardSignUp
- Find adventures at your library by signing up for a library card! You’ll have access to movies, video games, comics, audiobooks and so much more. http://bit.ly/LibraryCardSignUp #LibraryCardSignup
- Do you know the best way to kick off the school year? By signing up for a library card! Get one today at your library.http://bit.ly/LibraryCardSignUp #LibraryCardSignup
- Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Bo Peep and friends from Toy Story 4 want you to get a library card, so sign up for one today! http://bit.ly/LibraryCardSignUp #LibraryCardSignup
- Giddy up to your library this September and get a library card! http://bit.ly/LibraryCardSignUp #LibraryCardSignup #LibrariesTransform
- Buzz on over to the library to get a library card today! It’s your ticket to fun and adventure. http://bit.ly/LibraryCardSignUp #LibraryCardSignUp
- The best way to explore infinity and beyond is at your library! Be sure to sign up for a library card. http://bit.ly/LibraryCardSignUp #LibraryCardSignup
A library card brings stories to life!
Post these digital graphics on your website or social media accounts.
Instagram Share | Instagram Share in Spanish
Facebook Share | Facebook Share in Spanish| Facebook Cover | Facebook Cover in Spanish
Twitter Share | Twitter Share in Spanish | Twitter Header | Twitter Header in Spanish
Leaderboard | Leaderboard in Spanish\ Boombox| Boombox in Spanish\ Skyscraper | Skyscraper in Spanish
2160 x 804 px | 2160 x 804 px in Spanish\ 400 x 250 px | 400 x 250 px in Spanish
200 x 200 px \ 200 x 200 px in Spanish | 374 x 374 px | 374 x 374 px in Spanish
Explore infinity and beyond at your library!
Library Card Sign-up Month History
The campaign started in 1987 as a response to then Secretary of Education William Bennett, who stated, “Let’s have a campaign … Every child should obtain a library card and use it.” Read a detailed account in this 2015 blog post at the American Library Association Archives, A Library Card for Every Child: Library Card Sign-Up Month, by Cara Bertram.
ALA Graphics has a poster, mini-posters, bookmarks, and a sticker!
We'd like to hear what your library has planned for Library Card Sign-up Month or answer your questions. Contact us at campaign.ala.org.
Library Card Sign-up Month is made possible with support from:
Thank you to Disney Publishing Worldwide for offering “Toy Story 4” characters as 2019 Library Card Sign-up Month Honorary Chairs!
For 25 years OverDrive has been on a mission to provide access to compelling, easy-to-use digital materials that reach, engage, and satisfy readers. Since 2002 we have worked with ALA member libraries to invest how libraries lend eBooks and digital audiobooks. In the spirit of continuous improvement and best practices, together with ALA we are engaged in library advocacy with publishers and authors to provide fair lending models and costs. Visit Overdrive.com to learn more.
OverDrive's free Libby app is the easiest way to get started with digital books, audiobooks, and magazines from your public library. Libby is available for Android, iOS, Windows 10, and some Chromebooks.
ALA Library Champions support ALA’s efforts in raising public awareness about the value of libraries and librarians.