DC’s Wonder Woman to lasso up Library Card Sign-up Month 2020
This September, DC’s Wonder Woman is embarking on a new mission to champion the power of a library card as Library Card Sign-up Month Honorary Chair. A founding member of the Justice League, Wonder Woman is known for strength, compassion and truth. Armed with the Lasso of Truth, Wonder Woman makes a perfect ambassador to support the value of learning and the role libraries play in transforming lives and strengthening communities through education.
Wonder Woman posters, stickers and bookmarks are currently available for purchase through the ALA Store. Tools for libraries to participate are available on the Libraries Transform website. Registration is required, but the tools are free! Sign up to receive print PSAs, digital graphics, artwork for library cards, PSA scripts, a sample press release, proclamation, and more.
Fans can learn more about Wonder Woman at DCcomics.com. Since her introduction in October 1941 in All-Star Comics #8, Wonder Woman has graced comics, video games, headlined her own television show and feature films, and appears in the hit animated series “DC Super Hero Girls” on Cartoon Network and Netflix.
Wonder Woman posters, stickers and bookmarks are currently available for purchase through the ALA Store.
Ways to Celebrate
1. Visit your library online.
Visit your library online to see what's new and take part in the celebration. Libraries across the country are participating. Do you have friends who don't have library cards? Invite them to sign up during September.
2. Help spread the word.
Sample social media posts:
- Yay—September is #LibraryCardSignupMonth! Celebrate by getting your very own library card. Visit your library’s website for more information.
- Make sure your kids have the most important school supply of all—a library card! Get one this September and kick off the school year right. #LibraryCardSignupMonth
- Do you have a library card? September is #LibraryCardSignupMonth so get one today! Check out your library’s website to learn how you can access movies, eBook’s, video games and much more.
- There is nothing more empowering than getting your own library card. It gives you access to technology, resources, and services to pursue your passions and dreams. #LibraryCardSignupMonth
- Sign up for a library card and find something wonderful at your library! From virtual Storytime to audibooks to DIY classes, there is something for everyone. Happy #LibraryCardSignupMonth!
Library Card Sign-up Month History
The campaign started in 1987 as a response to then Secretary of Education William Bennett, who stated, “Let’s have a campaign … Every child should obtain a library card and use it.” Read a detailed account in this 2015 blog post at the American Library Association Archives, A Library Card for Every Child: Library Card Sign-Up Month, by Cara Bertram.
We'd like to hear what your library has planned for Library Card Sign-up Month or answer your questions. Contact us at campaign.ala.org.
Library Card Sign-up Month is made possible with support from:
Thank you to DC for offering Wonder Woman as 2020 Library Card Sign-up Month Honorary Chair!
For 25 years OverDrive has been on a mission to provide access to compelling, easy-to-use digital materials that reach, engage, and satisfy readers. Since 2002 we have worked with ALA member libraries to invest how libraries lend eBooks and digital audiobooks. In the spirit of continuous improvement and best practices, together with ALA we are engaged in library advocacy with publishers and authors to provide fair lending models and costs. Visit Overdrive.com to learn more.
OverDrive's free Libby app is the easiest way to get started with digital books, audiobooks, and magazines from your public library. Libby is available for Android, iOS, Windows 10, and some Chromebooks.
ALA Library Champions support ALA’s efforts in raising public awareness about the value of libraries and librarians.