Intellectual Freedom Award
Established in 1982.
Award and Frequency
Work Phone: (312) 280-4385
American Library AssociationAmerican Association of School Librarians
50 E Huron St
Chicago, IL 60611-2729
Displaying active committee roster as of 02/09/2016. Last retrieved on 02/09/2016. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
The following criteria will be used in the selection process:
- The recipient shall be a personal member of AASL.
- The recipient shall meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Has developed and implemented an exemplary selection policy/challenge procedure
- Has developed an innovative information program on intellectual freedom.
- Has upheld intellectual freedom principles in the face of a challenge.
- Has contributed to the literature of the field (print or non-print).
- Has been active in the establishment and/or continuation of a coalition relating to intellectual freedom at a local, state or national level.
- The recipient has not received another ProQuest, Inc. sponsored Intellectual Freedom Award in the same year.
- At least one supporting letter of reference must accompany the application form. The reference must substantiate that the applicant has upheld the principles of intellectual freedom, and has met at least one of the criteria listed above. The letter must be submitted by one of the following:
- District library supervisors.
- State, county or district school superintendents or building principals.
- State, district and local library organizations.
- Directors of curriculum and instruction.
- Directors of elementary and/or secondary education.
- State school library supervisors.
- Local school board members.
Nominations will be accepted by organizations or individuals. Self-nominations will not be considered.