ALA President's Award for Advocacy
Award and Frequency
$1,000 grant, and honorable mention by the ALA president at the Opening General Session of the 2011 ALA Annual Conference.
The winning advocacy campaign must:
- Be conducted statewide.
- Result in either an increase in state funding for libraries, or a decrease or elimination of a proposed reduction in state funding for libraries.
- Use Capwiz or a similar interactive database to communicate with state legislators.
- Show significant participation by citizens in making the case for libraries.
- Have been conducted during 2009 or 2010.
Please include the following supporting documents:
- The application form.
- The official release forms.
- A one- to two-page description of the statewide advocacy effort, including the specific goal of the campaign, who led the campaign, how citizens were involved, the avenues employed to make the case (i.e. e-mails, phone calls, letters, petitions, postcards, public service announcements, visits to legislators), the approximate number of citizens and librarians involved, and the results.
- Newspaper clippings and other public recognition.
- Materials used in the campaign.
All entries and enclosures may be used by ALTAFF in exhibits, and may be published in The Voice or other ALTAFF publications. No materials will be returned.
All application materials must be postmarked, emailed, or faxed by March 15, 2011 to:
109 S. 13th Street, Suite 3N
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Fax: (215) 545-3821
Displaying active committee roster as of 07/22/2014. Last retrieved on 07/22/2014. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
The winner will be notified on or before April 15, 2011.