Jan Merrill-Oldham Professional Development Grant
Award and Frequency
The award consists of a $1,250 cash grant donated by the Library Binding Institute and a citation. The grant is applicable toward airfare, lodging, and registration fees related to ALA Annual Conference attendance.
Nominations and applications shall include:
- Name, address, phone number, and email address of the nominee and nominating party or applicant
- Letter of application or nomination
- Two letters of recommendation from professional colleagues who know the candidate and his/her work
- A resume or curriculum vitae
- A short essay (up to 500 words) on the following theme: How would receiving the Jan Merrill-Oldham Professional Development Grant further your professional development goals?
Send nominations and applications via email to the award jury chair. See the jury roster.
Nominations and applications for person not selected for the award in one year may be resubmitted provided the person still meets the criteria. Previous winners are not eligible.
American Library Association
50 E Huron St
Chicago, IL 60611-2788
Displaying active committee roster as of 02/11/2016. Last retrieved on 02/11/2016. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
Criteria for selection will be determined based on the following:
- Have five or fewer years of experience in the field of library and archives preservation.
- Currently work as a librarian or para-professional within a library or archives preservation department or who has preservation responsibilities within their institution, or a person currently enrolled in a preservation-related graduate program.
- Have never attended an ALA Annual Conference.
- Recommendations from colleagues.
- Express desire as stated in a short essay (up to 500 words) on the following theme: How would receiving the Jan Merrill-Oldham Professional Development Grant further your professional development goals?
- Willingness to participate in designated conference events:
- Work with a member of the jury to identify relevant programs and interest group sessions to attend.
- Attend the Preservation Administration Interest Group Meeting.
- Attend a least one PARS discussion group meeting.
- Submit a summary of the recipient’s conference experience to the ALCTS Newsletter Online no later than 30 days after the conference.
Members of the sponsor or its affiliated organizations are not eligible.