Bound to Stay Bound Books Scholarship
Award and Frequency
$7,500 each – four awards
- Applicants must be citizens of the U.S. or Canada.
- Each scholarship will be granted to four/two candidates whose educational and personal qualifications indicate fitness for professional preparation at the graduate level in the field of library work with children.
- Factors considered are academic excellence, leadership qualities and a desire to work with children in any type of library.
- A Personal Statement describing career interests and goals, and a commitment to library service to children must be included with the application.
- The applicant may not have earned more than 12 semester hours toward an MLS/MLIS prior to June 1 of the year awarded.
- The recipients will be expected to accept positions after graduation in the field of library service to children for at least one year. These positions shall be in the United States or Canada, or in a library provided for dependents of military personnel of the United States or Canada. Within a year of graduation, each recipient is expected to submit to the Association for Library Service to Children a letter from an institution’s director or personnel department verifying appointment as a children’s librarian. If the recipient does not complete this requirement, for any reason within the recipient’s control, the scholarship money must be refunded. Failure to fulfill requirements will result in forfeiture, or repayment of scholarship monies.
- The recipients are expected to become members of the American Library Association and the Association for Library Service to Children.
- Bound to Stay Bound scholarship, money will be paid directly to the school.
The scholarship process is open annually from October - March. Applications and reference forms (which must be submitted on-line) are available during that time period. Instructions and general information remain available year round.
Before starting, carefully review the requirements in each category for the scholarships to which you are applying. Then complete the online application. PLEASE NOTE: It is only necessary to complete ONE online application regardless of the number of scholarships you apply for. You may apply for as many scholarships as you are eligible for by checking the appropriate boxes on the application form.
The following items are required for all scholarship applications. Be sure to check the requirements of the specific scholarship for which you are applying because you may need to mail additional documents.
- Required. Completed online application (which includes a personal statement).
- Required. Completed references (only references on the official online form will be accepted). A total of three references must be submitted. You will be prompted to indicate your professional references within the online application.
- Required. Official academic transcripts from institutions where you received your bachelors degree. These can be submitted directly from the institution, or mailed in the unopened envelope as received from the degree-granting institutions along with any other materials you may need to submit. Only official (sealed) copies will be accepted. All items must be received in the ALA Scholarship Clearinghouse by March 1st to be considered. When March 1st falls on a Satruday or Sunday the deadline will be extend to the next business day. The mailing address is: ALA Scholarship Clearinghouse, 50 E. Huron St., Chicago, IL 60611.
Note: The completion of the application is the responsibility of the applicant.
Work Phone: (312) 280-5839
American Library Association
50 E Huron St
Chicago, IL 60611-2788
Displaying active committee roster as of 02/12/2016. Last retrieved on 02/12/2016. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
Recipients will be contacted by phone after June 1st. All other applicants will be notified by e-mail after July 1st.