Cicely Phippen Marks Scholarship (HISTORICAL)
A 24-year member of ALA who was active in both FAFLRT and the Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS), Marks spent much of her career working in federal libraries. After graduating from the University of Maryland’s Graduate School of Library Science in 1970, she spent 15 years with the US Veterans Administration Central Office Library Division. She then worked at the American Overseas Book Company until 2000, moving on to the Customs and Border Protection Library, under contract with PTFS, Inc., until her retirement in 2004.
The Cicely Phippen Marks Scholarship is sponsored by the Federal and Armed Forces Round Table. The first Cicely Phippen Marks Scholarship recipient was announced in June 2007.
Award and Frequency
- U.S. or Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Attend ALA accredited Master's Program.
- No more than 12 semester hours towards MLS/MLIS/MIS prior to June 1 of year awarded.
- Personal Statement.
Attend an ALA accredited Master's Program
Contact InformationIf you need more information, feel free to contact the ALA Library Reference Desk by telephone: 800-545-2433, extension 2153; fax: 312-280-3255; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; or regular mail: ALA Library, American Library Association, 50 East Huron Street, Chicago, IL 60611-2795.
The following items are required for all scholarship applications. Be sure to check the requirements of the specific scholarship for which you are applying because you may need to mail additional documents.
- Required. Completed online application (which includes a personal statement).
- Required. Completed references (only references on the official online form will be accepted). A total of three references must be submitted. You will be prompted to indicate your professional references within the online application.
- Required. Official academic transcripts from institutions where you received your bachelors degree. These can be submitted directly from the institution, or mailed in the unopened envelope as received from the degree-granting institutions along with any other materials you may need to submit. Only official (sealed) copies will be accepted. All items must be received in the ALA Scholarship Clearinghouse by March 1st to be considered. When March 1st falls on a Satruday or Sunday the deadline will be extend to the next business day. The mailing address is: ALA Scholarship Clearinghouse, 50 E. Huron St., Chicago, IL 60611.
Recipients will be contacted by phone after June 1st. All other applicants will be notified by e-mail after July 1st