Excellence in Academic Libraries Award
Award and Frequency
The program, sponsored by GOBI Library Solutions from EBSCO, will support three annual awards of $3,000 each by type of academic library (community, college, and university). Awards will be made by an ACRL representative at a presentation at each institution receiving the award. Further recognition of award recipients will be made at the ACRL President's Program at the annual ALA conference.
Blackwell's gift will cover the outright awards and provide $3,000 for travel to presentation ceremonies.
Applications are kept in the award pool for three years. Applications may be updated each year, as long as they are received by the award deadline.
Academic and Research Libraries may apply.
The applicant must agree to take responsibility for organizing and funding a recognition ceremony on campus to receive the award.
Electronic submissions are required. Applicants must submit an application form and supporting documents via email to Chase Ollis, firstname.lastname@example.org. The application form must be completed in its entirety and applications must be received by December 2, 2016, to receive full consideration. Applications will be confirmed via email.
If possible, please submit a high resolution photo of the nominee (at least 300 dpi). The photo will be used to make the official winner announcement immediately after the ALA Midwinter Meeting.
Interested parties should feel free to contact the chair and/or the members of the award committee for additional information.
Trevor A. Dawes
Associate University Librarian
Washington University in St. Louis
1 Brookings Dr
Campus Box 1061
Saint Louis, MO 63130-4862
Work Phone: (314) 935-5400
Displaying active committee roster as of 01/16/2017. Last retrieved on 01/16/2017. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
- Demonstrate how academic librarians and staff work together as a team to develop an academic library that is outstanding in furthering the educational mission of its parent institution.
- The criteria for recognizing excellence through the Blackwell Award Program will emphasize "outcomes" rather than "inputs" as the best measures of quality. "Outcomes" are defined by the ACRL Task Force on Academic Library Outcomes and reflected in the philosophy of Standards for Libraries in Higher Education. Potential nominees are referred to these documents. An academic library may demonstrate excellence as a team of librarians and staff in furthering the educational mission of its institution through one or more of the following, or in other ways that reflect the purpose and philosophy of this award:
- Creativity and innovation in meeting the needs of their academic community.
- Leadership in developing and implementing exemplary programs that other libraries can emulate.
- Substantial and productive relationships with classroom faculty and students.
- Agree to take responsibility for organizing and funding a recognition ceremony on campus to receive the award.