About the Diversity and Outreach Fair
The fair is organized by the Office for Literacy and Outreach Services as a way to celebrate examples of diversity in American libraries, and to demonstrate possibilities for other libraries in search of "diversity in action" ideas. Selected applicants will share their diversity initiatives in face-to-face presentations with conferees through a poster session and conversation.
Award and Frequency
First place: $200 DEMCO gift certificate; Second place: $100 DEMCO gift certificate; Third place: $50 DEMCO gift certificate.
This award is given out on an annual basis.
1. Service to People with Disabilities
2. Access to Technology
3. Innovative Solutions to Accessibility Issues
4. Innovative Services to Homebound People
5. Innovative services to other underserved or underrepresented communities
Other topics may include:
1. Library services to those who are:
1. Poor and homeless
2. People of color
3. English language learners
4. Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered
5. New Americans
6. New and non-readers and other literacy issues
7. Older adults
8. People living in rural areas
9. Incarcerated & ex-offenders
2. Mobile Library Services and Bookmobiles
3. Other (e.g., professional development, community partnerships, or staff development and training)