Purpose of Interest Group:
This interest group focuses on creating, disseminating and implementing guidelines for library services to people with Alzheimer's and related dementias. The International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA) has already established such guidelines and they can readily be adapted for use in the United States.
Interest Group Leaders:
Chair: Mary-Kate Finnegan-Dopkins, email@example.com
Past Chair: Mary Beth Riedner, firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Membership: Tysha Shay, email@example.com
Updating the 2015 National Survey of Current Practices – your input needed
IGARD would like to update its previous survey in order to document existing services/programs in libraries across the country that are offered directly to members of your community diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or another dementia. Please complete the brief survey located at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2017-library-dementia-survey . The results of the 2015 survey can be found below under “Best Practices”.
- Tales & Travel Memories - http://talesandtravelmemories.com
- Stories for Life - http://thelibrary.org/research/res_guide.cfm?aid=2562
- Memory Care and Technology - http://www.ala.org/pla/onlinelearning/webinars/ondemand/memory
- 2015 National Survey of Current Practices - Excel spreadsheet
- RAILS Serving Patrons with Dementia Group – https://www.railslibraries.info/community/groups/serving-patrons-dementia-group
- ACT on Alzheimer’s (MN) – Sector Guide on Libraries - http://www.actonalz.org/sites/default/files/documents/ACT-SectorGuide-Libraries.pdf
- Memory Cafés - http://www.librarymemoryproject.org/
Missouri Library Association
Restoring Connections: Meeting the Needs of People with Dementia
Over 5 million Americans have Alzheimer’s or another dementia. These numbers will only increase as Baby Boomers age. Are libraries ready to serve this too-often forgotten population? Come discover how librarians can connect, communicate and program to improve this population's quality of life.
- More info here: http://2016mla.weebly.com/
- Date: Wednesday, October 5, 2016; 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Register: http://2016mla.weebly.com/registration.html
American Library Association
Becoming a Dementia Friendly Library: Serving People Living with Dementia in Your Community
- Date:Friday, June 23, 2017 - 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- More info here: ALA Midwinter Meetings
*NEW* The Poster Session "Reconnecting Persons with Dementia to their Libraries: Using Library Materials to Improve the Quality of Life for People living with Alzheimer’s and other Dementias" was a success! The report and handout are available below:
- IFLA Library report, with poster
- Poster Presentation Report (pdf)
- Poster Presentation Handout (pdf)
Scott, Paula Spencer. Libraries Offer Alzheimer’s Activities for Senior Living: A “Novel” Idea Sweeping Memory Care Across the Nation. https://www.caring.com/local/memory-care-facilities/experiences/libraries-alzheimers-activities-senior-living (accessed 9/26/16).
Dankowski, Terra. “Stimulating Minds: Libraries develop programs to serve patrons with Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia.” American Libraries, January/February, 2015, p. 54-57. Also available at: https://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/2015/02/09/stimulating-minds (accessed 9/26/16)
Tysha Shay was recognized by Library Journal as a Mover and Shaker for 2015 in the Innovators category - http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2015/03/people/movers-shakers-2015/tysha-shay-movers-shakers-2015-innovators/
IGARD Members Karen Maki and Mary Beth Riedner were part of team awarded the 2014 Jean Williams Sayre Innovation Award by the Midwest Chapter of the Medical Library Association - http://ascla.ala.org/interface/2014/12/2014-jean-williams-sayre-innovation-award/
Other Related Guidelines:
- RUSA - Guidelines for Library and Information Services to Older Adults http://www.ala.org/rusa/resources/guidelines/libraryservices
- ALA - Office for Literacy and Outreach Services (OLOS) Outreach Resources for Services to Older Adults http://www.ala.org/advocacy/diversity/outreachtounderservedpopulations/servicesolder
- IFLA - Guidelines for Library Services to Persons with Dementia
- IGARD Guidelines Subcommittee - Review of Related Standards
- Library Programs for Dementia Clients: A Literature Review