A nominating committee is appointed by the president-elect of the division (chair-elect of each section) to make up a slate of candidates for each elective position that becomes vacant through expiration of a term, resignation, or death.
The Nominating Committee must submit the slate to the ASCLA office by September 15th. Candidates have until December 1st to submit their biographical information.
The ASCLA office will notify the chairs of each nominating committee, the number of candidates to be nominated for each position and the length of each term.
Suggestions for the nominating committee
While no nominating committee should fail to explore all suggestions for nominees in the search for the most able candidates, it might be well to keep in mind the following:
- Other things being equal, successive candidates for an office should come from different parts of the country. Some nominating committees may prefer having both candidates for an office from the same area to ensure a geographical spread over time.
- The several types of libraries, as well as a variety of library activities, are all represented in ASCLA. These different interests should be considered.
- Ethnic background, sex, age, and length of membership in ALA are also among the items that might be considered to ensure the broadest possible representation of the membership.
- Particularly for the office of vice-president/ president-elect and section vice-chair/chair-elect it is desirable to select candidates who have demonstrated interest in the division by serving on its committees, or in other ways.
- Members of the division or section should be considered first. However, if a desirable candidate is a personal member of ALA but not a member of the division, he or she may be asked to join. The candidate should join for the year in which she or he is nominated, and must be a personal member the year of the election and for subsequent years until the end of the term of office.
Written consent, biographical information
When the nominating committee chair sends the slate to the ASCLA office, it should be accompanied by written consent of the candidates. The slate should also indicate the order for listing the candidates' names on the ballot. The slate is due September 15th.
Biographical information is due December 1st. Candidates are asked to submit their information via the ALA online form. Complete instructions are sent to the chair of the nominating committee.
Nominating committee appointed.
Nominating committee selects slate. Chair contacts candidates and gets their written consent.
Chair submits slate, with names listed in the order they should appear on the ballot and the candidates' written consent, to the ASCLA office.
Slates are published in Interface.
Candidates submit their biographical information via the ALA online form.
Ballots mailed for election.
Candidates notified of election results.