What is the true value of ALSC membership? The benefits of membership are tangible and intangible. ALSC offers discounts on professional development, a free subscription to an award-winning journal, and others. But becoming a member, you are also supporting the mission of the organization. Consider the value of ALSC membership.
Although ALSC has four different types of membership categories, all members enjoy these benefits:
Access to resources that strengthen libraries
- A subscription to Children and Libraries: The Journal of the Association for Library Service to Children, a quarterly publication, delivered in print and digitally, that provides continuing education for librarians working with children and showcases current scholarly research and practice in library service to children and significant activities and programs of the association.
- Apply for $100k annually in awards, scholarships and grants available only to ALSC members
- 10% discount on professional products including ALSC books on awards, best practices and innovative programming ideas
- Travel scholarships for special events such as the National Institute and ALSC preconferences
- Access to the ALSC Annual Report, which highlights all of the important actions and activities from the previous year
- ALSC’s Everyday Advocacy website and the Everyday Advocacy Matters newsletter, designed to nurture and support all advocates of library service to children and librarians serving youth
Professional development opportunities that transform careers
- 10% discount on quarterly online courses that develop new skills and areas of expertise for librarians and children’s literature enthusiasts
- 10% discount on webinars that present new, interesting ideas in a convenient and affordable manner
- Pre-conferences, conferences, and ALSC's National Institute are all great places to advance your knowledge base and build leadership skills
- Free access to student sessions, quarterly webinars held with a special focus on student and early career advice/issues
- Periodic free webinars and webcasts presented by ALSC committees and the Friends of ALSC
Networking with individuals all across the country to create ideas and solve problems
- Connection to approximately 60k ALA members via ALA Connect, ALA’s online member network
- Access to ALSC Community Forums, held via Adobe Connect, which bring members together to discuss important issues in children’s library service
- Access to monthly #alscchat Twitter discussions hosted by the ALSC Children & Technology Committee where members explore new developments in children’s library service
- Joining members across the country in giving back to the profession through the ALSC Mentoring Program
- News, contest, and regular posts from the ALSC Blog on topics relating to children’s library service
All personal members receive the same benefits regardless of dues category. To become an ALSC member online, please visit ALA membership. Or call ALA Member Services at 800-545-2433, ext. 5.
Return to the ALSC Membership page