- Create a shared document/spreadsheet of program ideas. Encourage others to enter their own ideas/suggestions.
- Create a book list of titles that you both enjoy. Discuss the benefits/drawbacks of your favorites.
- Create a wish-list for your library. What sort of technology would you like to have? What resources would you buy?
- Conduct a survey with your match! Come up with a topic, questions, and then create a form. Contact the ALSC office if you'd like help promoting your survey.
- Do a resume/CV review. Share/critique job experiences and skills.
- Perform a mock interview. Take turns asking each other difficult interview questions (i.e. “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?”). Afterwards give written feedback.
- In advance of your meeting, each come up with 3-5 questions for the other to answer. Make sure to forward to the other person a few days before your meeting to give that person time to come up with appropriate answers.
- Discuss the qualities that make an effective manager/director. Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of managers you’ve both encountered in your previous jobs.
- Discuss your experiences with mock Newbery/Caldecott elections. What has worked for you? What hasn’t?
- Read an article about mentoring (i.e. resources). Discuss how it applies to your match.
- Discuss your experiences with El día de los niños/El día de los libros (Children's Day/Book Day) programs. Have you hosted an event? What has worked?
- how have either of you been involved in ALSC? Have you downloaded any of ALSC's resources or attended an ALSC event in the past?
Reading and Writing
- Read and discuss an article from Children & Libraries magazine. What did you like? What didn’t you like?
- Co-author an ALSC Blog guest post. Submit your idea for a blog post.
- Participate in National Novel Writing Month with your match. Support and challenge each other to finish your novel!
Participate in Association Events
- Participate in an ALSC Community Forum. Each come up with a question to ask the ALSC President and ALSC Board of Directors.
- Attend one of ALSC's live webinar sessions!
Match Activity Examples
Mentoring matches undertake a number of different activities and projects. Here are some that you may want to view:
- School and Public Library Collaboration - research project performed by an ALSC Mentoring Program match in November 2014
Are you looking for practical examples of match projects? Check out the ALSC Blog for posts about mentoring activities. Interested in writing a blog post with your match? Please contact Elizabeth Serrano, 1-800-545-2433 ext 2164.