This award honors an individual member of the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) who has made significant contributions to, and an impact on, library service to children and/or ALSC. The recipient receives $2,000 and an engraved pin at the ALSC Membership Meeting during ALA Annual Conference.
- Watch 2017 ALSC Distinguished Award winner Ellen Fader give her acceptance speech at the 2017 Annual Conference (video, 9 min, 43 sec).
- Watch 2016 ALSC Distinguished Award Winner Pat Scales give her acceptance speech from the 2016 Annual Conference (video 11 min, 43 sec).
The nominee should be an individual who has made significant contributions to, and an impact on, library services to children and to the Association for Library Service to Children.
The nominee and the individual making the nomination must be personal members of ALSC as well as ALA; organizational members are not eligible
Individuals nominated my be chosen from any facet of library services to children
The nominee may be a practicing librarian in a public or school library, a library or information science educator, a member of the library press, or an editor or other employee of a publishing house
The individual may be retired
How to nominate
The ALSC Distinguished Service Award committee is now accepting online nominations for the 2019 Distinguished Service Award! Nominations and supporting materials will be due by December 1, 2018.
- Please do not fill out and submit the nomination form until you have all the necessary materials to complete your submission.
- If you would like to review the form before submitting electronically, you can use the DSA paper nomination form.
- If you have any questions, please contact Judy Zuckerman, Distinguished Service Award Chair, at email@example.com.
2019 Distinguished Service Award Nomination form will be available beginning Friday, February 16, 2018.
Announcement of the Winner
The 2017 Distinguished Service Award is Ellen Fader! Please visit our current distinguished service award winner page to view a press release featuring Ellen's accomplishments! The 2018 DSA recipient will be announced at the 2018 Midwinter meeting.