Matches in the ALSC Mentoring Program may choose to use outside sources to improve their match. Below is a bibliography of resources that might help mentors and mentees:
ALSC mentoring matches are not required to work a project. Some matches, however, as part of their goals, choose to work on a project that might contribute something to their career development or to the field.
Examples from the ALSC Blog
In the past, ALSC matches have written blog posts for the ALSC Blog. Check out the resources and information posted by mentors and mentees to the ALSC Blog. If your match would like to write a blog post, please see the Guest Post Guidelines.
Academic Library Articles
- Byington, Teresa. "Keys to Successful Mentoring Relationships." Journal of Extension. December 2010. Volume 48. No. 6.
- Burke, Kate and Lawrence, Belinda. "The Accidental Mentorship: Library Managers' Roles in Student Employees' Academic Professional Lives." College & Research Libraries. February 2011. Vol. 72. No. 2. pp. 99-103.
- Level, Allison V. and Mach, Michelle. "Peer Mentoring: One Institution's Approach to Mentoring Academic Librarians." Library Management. 2005. Vol. 26 Issue 6/7, pp.301 - 310.
- Lillian T. Eby, Tammy D. Allen, Sarah C. Evans, Thomas Ng, and David DuBois. "Does Mentoring Matter? A Multidisciplinary Meta-Analysis Comparing Mentored and Non-Mentored Individuals." Journal of Vocational Behavior. 2008 April; 72(2): 254-267.
- Robbeloth, Hilary; Eng, Alice; and Weiss, Stephanie, "Disconnect Between Literature and Libraries: The Availability of Mentoring Programs for Academic Librarians" (2013). Library Faculty Presentations & Publications. Paper 10.
- Ross, Kevin M. "Purposeful Mentoring in Academic Libraries." Journal of Library Administration. 2013. Volume 53. Issue 7-8, pp 412-428.
- Barquilla, Brian. Look to Peer Mentoring Groups for Ideas, Support and Tough Love. Entrepreneur. 4 June 2014.
- Colan, Lee. Reverse Mentoring: The Big Benefits to Learning From Younger Employees. Inc. 11 June 2014.
- Fallon, Nicole. Want a Career Boost? Become a Mentor. Business News Daily. 24 March 2015.
- Gervais, Bert. 10 Killer Questions to Make the Most of Your Mentor Meeting. Forbes. 28 February 2014.
- Kantor, Julie. Mentoring Culture is Good for Business. Huffington Post Business. 17 May 2015.
- Markman, Art. Why Being a Mentor is Worth the Effort. Fast Company. 27 February 2015.
- Morris, Rhett. Mentors are the Secret Weapons of Successful Startups. TechCrunch. 22 March 2015.
- Walden, Stephanie. The Mutual Benefits of Mentorship. Mashable. 23 April 2015.
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation. Questions to Ask a Mentor and Tips for a Successful Mentoring Session.