Home | About the Institute | ALSC Connection | Big Ideas | Housing | Keynotes | Programs | Registration | Schedule | Scholarships | Sponsors
In efforts to support ALSC’s goal of continuing education for children’s librarians, the Friends of ALSC are offering two scholarships to the ALSC National Institute September 27 – 29, 2018 in Cincinnati, Ohio. Scholarship recipients must be ALSC members who work directly with children in a library setting. The scholarships will include Institute registration (at the early bird rate) and a $1,000 travel stipend to cover airfare and hotel lodging.
Additionally, to promote ALSC’s continued dedication to equity and diversity, Friends of ALSC will be offering a third scholarship of the same amount to a North Carolina member who identifies as a member of the LGBTQAI+ community. ALSC hopes that this scholarship will continue to support the LGBTQAI+ community in North Carolina following the cancellation of the 2016 National Institute due to the state’s discriminatory legislation.
The ALSC National Institute, devoted solely to children’s and youth library services, offers a small, intimate setting for participating in programming and getting to know colleagues. Programs will delve into some of the most important topics in library service to children such as using technology in programming, what’s hot in children’s spaces, working with underserved populations, and using local partnerships to improve programming. Participants are sure to go home feeling reinvigorated about the profession and more connected to others in the field.
An advisory group consisting of ALSC member leaders will review the applications to select the scholarship recipients. Selected attendees will be required to work with the ALSC office within a timely fashion to book travel arrangements.
- Be personal members of ALSC as well as ALA (student members do qualify). Organizational members are not eligible.
- Currently be working directly with children in a library setting.
- Prior to submitting the application, seek permission from current supervisor for time off to attend the Institute.
- Submit a completed application by the due date. Late entries will not be considered. Applicants will receive confirmation that their application has been received within 1 business day.
- If selected, submit to the ALSC marketing specialist an informal essay (500 – 1000 words) about your experience at the Institute. Information submitted to marketing specialist may be used on the ALSC blog and in future Institute promotions and marketing.
Criteria for selection:
- Commitment to children’s library services and to ALSC
- Leadership qualities as displayed through library and community involvement
- Need for professional development and desired outcome for attending the ALSC Institute.
- Financial need for scholarship, personally and professionally
- Well-roundedness of the applicant
Please contact Alena Rivers, ALSC Deputy Director, at email@example.com or (312) 280-5866 with questions.
The online application must be submitted before midnight on May 9, 2018. Winners will be notified by early June. The online application cannot be saved during the process. Please do not fill out and submit the application until you have all the necessary information.
Requirements of the winning applicants:
Winners of the scholarship must agree to the following terms: I understand if I am selected to receive the Friends of ALSC Scholarship, I am required to book my own travel, attend the Institute in its entirety, write an ALSC blog post about my experience, and be willing to serve on ALSC committees in the future. I have checked with my supervisor to ensure that if selected, I am able to attend the Institute.