Friends of ALSC Institute Scholarship
Home | Housing & Local Information | Keynotes | Programs | Registration | Schedule | Scholarship | Sponsors
In efforts to support ALSC’s goal of continuing education for children’s librarians, the Friends of ALSC are offering two scholarships to the ALSC National Institute September 15 – 17, 2016 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Scholarship recipients must be ALSC members who work directly with children in a library setting. The scholarships will include Institute registration (at the early bird rate) and a $1,000 travel stipend to cover airfare and hotel lodging.
The ALSC National Institute, devoted solely to children’s and youth library services, offers a small, intimate setting for participating in programming and getting to know colleagues. Programs will delve into some of the most important topics in library service to children such as using technology in programming, what’s hot in children’s spaces, working with underserved populations, and using local partnerships to improve programming. Participants are sure to go home feeling reinvigorated about the profession and more connected to others in the field.
An advisory group consisting of ALSC member leaders will review the applications to select the scholarship recipients. Selected attendees will be required to book their own travel and lodging, and will be reimbursed with the travel stipend immediately following the Institute.
- Be personal members of ALSC as well as ALA (student members do qualify). Organizational members are not eligible.
- Currently be working directly with children in a library setting.
- Prior to submitting the application, seek permission from current supervisor for time off to attend the Institute.
- Submit a completed application by the due date. Late entries will not be considered. Applicants will receive confirmation that their application has been received within 1 business day.
- If selected, submit to the ALSC marketing specialist an informal essay (500 – 1000 words) about your experience at the Institute. Information submitted to marketing specialist may be used on the ALSC blog and in future Institute promotions and marketing. Participants may also be asked to use a flip camera at the Institute to record parts of their experience.
Criteria for selection:
- Be an ALSC Member
- Work directly with children
- Leadership qualities as displayed through library, community and professional involvement
- Need and desire for professional development
- Reason for wanting to attend ALSC Institute
- Financial need for scholarship
Please contact Kristen Figliulo, ALSC Program Officer for Continuing Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 280-4026 with questions.
The online application must be submitted before midnight on May 26, 2016. Winners will be notified by June 9, 2016. The online application cannot be saved during the process. Please do not fill out and submit the application until you have all the necessary information.