Friends of ALSC Institute Scholarship
In efforts to support ALSC’s goal of continuing education for children’s librarians, the Friends of ALSC are offering two scholarships to the ALSC National Institute September 20 – 22, 2012 in Indianapolis, Ind. Scholarship recipients must be ALSC members who work directly with children in a library setting. The scholarships will include Institute registration; transportation to and from the Institute (up to $320); and two nights at the Sheridan Indianapolis City Centre where the Institute is being held.
The ALSC National Institute, devoted solely to children’s and youth library services, offers a small, intimate setting for participating in programming and getting to know colleagues. Programs will delve into some of the most important topics in library service to children such as using technology in programming, what’s hot in children’s spaces, working with underserved populations, and using local partnerships to improve programming. Participants are sure to go home feeling reinvigorated about the profession and more connected to others in the field.
An advisory group consisting of ALSC member leaders will review the applications to select the scholarship recipients. Selected attendees will be required to work with the ALSC office within a timely fashion to book travel arrangements.
- Be personal members of ALSC as well as ALA (student members do qualify). Organizational members are not eligible.
- Currently be working directly with children in a library setting.
- Prior to submitting the application, seek permission from current supervisor for time off to attend the Institute.
- Submit a completed application by the due date. Late entries will not be considered. Applicants will receive confirmation that their application has been received within 1 business day.
- If selected, submit to the ALSC marketing specialist an informal essay (500 – 1000 words) about your experience at the Institute. Information submitted to marketing specialist may be used on the ALSC blog and in future Institute promotions and marketing. Participants may also be asked to use a flip camera at the Institute to record parts of their experience.
Criteria for selection:
- Commitment to children’s library services and to ALSC
- Leadership qualities as displayed through library and community involvement
- Need for professional development and desired outcome for attending the ALSC Institute.
- Financial need for scholarship, personally and professionally
- Well-roundedness of the applicant
Please contact Jenny Najduch, ALSC program officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 280-4026 with questions.
The online application must be submitted before midnight on July 13, 2012. Winners will be notified by July 27, 2012. The online application cannot be saved during the process. Please do not fill out and submit the application until you have all the necessary information.