Friends of ALSC Preconference Scholarship
In efforts to support ALSC’s goal of continuing education for children’s librarians, the Friends of ALSC are offering two scholarships to the 2013 ALSC Preconference, A Wild Ride: 75 Years of the Caldecott Medal. The Preconference is taking place on Friday, June 28, 2013 from 7:30 am – 4 pm at the Art Institute of Chicago. Scholarship recipients must be ALSC members who work directly with children in a library setting. The scholarship consists of Preconference registration; ALA Annual Conference registration and travel costs are not included with the scholarship. Applicants do not need to be registered for ALA Annual Conference to attend the Preconference.
The ALSC Preconference invites attendees to take a wild ride through the past, present and future of award-winning children’s book art by celebrating 75 years of the Randolph Caldecott Medal. Hear about the creative process from an array of Caldecott winners, as well as editors, art directors, and production managers. Engage with one another in small focus groups and interactive, critical discussions of Caldecott medal books throughout the years.
An advisory group consisting of ALSC member leaders will review the applications to select the scholarship recipients. Selected attendees will be required to work with the ALSC office within a timely fashion to complete registration. The online application must be submitted before midnight on May 3, 2013. For more information view the scholarship guidelines.
- Be personal members of ALSC as well as ALA (student members do qualify). Organizational members are not eligible.
- Currently be working directly with children in a library setting.
- Prior to submitting the application, seek permission from current supervisor for time off to attend the Preconference.
- Submit a completed application by the due date. Late entries will not be considered. Applicants will receive confirmation that their application has been received within 1 business day.
- If selected, submit to the ALSC marketing specialist an informal essay (500 – 1000 words) about your experience at the Preconference. Information submitted to marketing specialist may be used on the ALSC blog and in future Institute promotions and marketing. Participants may also be asked to use a flip camera at the Preconference to record parts of their experience.
Criteria for selection:
- Commitment to children’s library services and to ALSC
- Leadership qualities as displayed through library and community involvement
- Need for professional development and desired outcome for attending the ALSC Institute.
- Financial need for scholarship, personally and professionally
- Well-roundedness of the applicant
Requirements of the winning applicants
Winners of the scholarship must agree to the following terms: I understand if I am selected to receive the Friends of ALSC Scholarship, I am required to work with the ALSC staff to complete my registration, attend the Preconference in its entirety, write an ALSC blog post about my experience, and be willing to serve on ALSC committees in the future. I have checked with my supervisor to ensure that if selected, I am able to attend the Preconference.
The online application must be submitted before midnight on May 3, 2013. Winners will be notified by the first week in June. The online application cannot be saved during the process. Please do not fill out and submit the application until you have all the necessary information.
Please contact Jenny Najduch, ALSC program officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 280-4026 with questions.