Newbery and Caldecott Mock Elections Toolkit
Mock book award programs can develop multiple skill areas, including reading motivation, critical thinking, and interpersonal communication, both for young readers and for professional staff. This webinar looks at the nuts and bolts of developing a mock award program, from initial planning to the final vote. We’ll cover book selection, awards criteria, discussion techniques, and provide tools and examples that you can use and adapt as you develop your own mock book award programs.
- Learners will gain understanding of the goals and purposes of mock book award programs.
- Learners will be shown how awards criteria can be shared in effective and engaging ways.
- Learners will receive information on practical forms, tools, and resources to use in developing and presenting a mock book awards program.
- Learners will be shown examples of ways to model effective book evaluation techniques with a group.
- Learners will be shown that a mock awards program can be adapted and developed to fit a variety of situations.
Who Should Attend
Youth Services librarians, library paraprofessionals, and support staff in public and school libraries. Children’s literature educators and advocates.
Steven Engelfried, MLIS, Youth Services Librarian, Wilsonville (Ore.) Public Library
Steven Engelfried has been a children’s librarian for 25 years. He has coordinated many Mock Awards programs for kids and teens, as well as for library staff through the Oregon Library Association. He served on the 2002 Caldecott Committee and the 2010 Newbery Committee and will chair the 2013 Newbery Committee. He has reviewed books for School Library Journal for over twenty years and has published several articles on literature for SLJ. Engelfried has an MLIS and a BA in English, both from the University of California, Berkeley. He is also a storyteller and puppeteer and writes about those topics in his “Beyond the Book Storytimes” blog.
Credits &/or CEUs
College credit nor CEU's are available at this time. An electronic certificate of completion can be sent to participants upon request.
Interested in sponsoring this course? Contact Jenny Najduch, ALSC Program Officer, at the email or phone number above.